Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tuesday's Tribute: The Learning Coach

She makes me laugh, she feeds me, she goes shopping with me and vice versa. Her husband is a lot of fun, too. I should also point out, she IS a little older than I am (I am just throwing that in there for her, she is not that much older than me).

Really, though, instead of focusing on just her, I would like to focus on her work. She is a Learning Coach and she specializes in helping mostly children, but also has young and older adults, who are spatial, kinesthetic and visual learners who are having difficulty reading. This often presents itself as dyslexia, but many other times there are other challenges involved, such as an autism spectrum disorder, ADD/ADHD and more. She loves this work and provides a wonderful service to the clients she serves. She is trained in the Davis Method and to hear her talk about it is really fascinating. It is a non-traditional approach but makes total sense, especially to someone like me who is a stronger visual learner than I am an auditory learner. Her ability to teach these people involves patience, patience and more patience. Something I.DO.NOT.HAVE, at least not at the level she needs. She has quite a few success stories and I admire what she does.

Now I will throw in a plug for her blog and her business. I am in the process of helping her get a blog up and running. She hopes this blog becomes a resource and tool for parents and/or anyone else who is searching for answers to their reading challenges. Though it is VERY early in it's stages, you can check it out here: The Learning Coach.

So here's to you, Lorraine, and all the great work you do!

9 comments:

  1. I am headed to check out Lorraine's site right now. I have not heard of the Davis Method and look foward to learing about it for my little one Alex. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God for people like her! Patience is something I'm defintely lacking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patience is one of those enviable qualities. I think we would all like to have more patience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i went and read her first post, and i'd say she's off to a great start! she's right, the whole 'one size fits all' is so ridiculous when it comes to learning. gotta love those folks that are helping our kids be successful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tribute! I love it when people are really in lurve with their jobs--life is too short:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So impressed with talented people...Great Tribute by you, and I am off to learn more about her!

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  7. We so need more people like her. Good luck to her with her new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a post, it soes really take a special person to work with people like that. It sounds like you are lucky yourself to have someone like that in your life.

    ReplyDelete