Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tuesday's Tribute: Fat Tuesday

Tuesday's Tribute
A Jay and Deb Production.
My first trip with my MG was to Mardi Gras in NOLA. It was 1992. We didn't go alone. We went with about 25 or so people. At that time, he was playing Ultimate Frisbee on a team that traveled regularly throughout the US for tournaments. So off we went with the players and their significant others. I have loved New Orleans ever since.

Our first day there we puttered around the city. The parades were just getting started and it was very tame, with the exception of seeing a guy laying on the ground after being shot or stabbed and hearing the police coming from off in the distance. Being that those days I was quite the drinker, I was more than thrilled to be able to carry my drink around with me from place to place. Funny thing, 16 years later I still love that about this city!

Our first day at the tournament, which took place in Baton Rouge, all I could think was "that partying city is there just for me and I am sitting here in a lawn chair watching these people run up and down a field throwing a frisbee." Karma is good and the next thing I know I hear my name. One of my roommates from college was in town, too, and she came there to find me and drag me to the French Quarter with her and her friends. It was a good day. I enjoyed all the debauchery that comes with Mardi Gras. I will leave it at that for fear of ruining my future political career. I don't even have many pictures because I was so drunk I managed to reload a roll of film (no digital cameras in those days!) and double expose what pictures I had taken. And those I do have are packed away in a photo box in the basement. I managed to get a photo of all of us gals with underwear (clean, I hope, but I can't guarantee it and I don't know where we got them) on our heads. Later in time, that photo literally brought life back into one of the women who was with us. She was in the hospital, trached and eventually put into a drug induced coma to force her body to rest itself to recovery, but when she received that picture from me, she said she couldn't help but laugh, even though it hurt, and it made her day.

I am not sure how I ever found my way back to my now husband late that night. I just remember hanging on a lamp post so I could see above the crowds on Bourbon St. and believe it or not, there he came walking down the street with his buddies.

We stayed through Fat Tuesday and all the big parades. It was a good thing when the time came for us to leave Mardi Gras and New Orleans, otherwise I was going to slither into the gutters due to all of the activities I had taken part in.

We had so much fun on that trip, that Big E's nursery was Mardi Gras colors. We have jambalaya on Fat Tuesday every year. (I have been told by a friend's husband that my jambalya is better than his wife's and she is FROM New Orleans! He made me promise to never tell her he told me that!). So Fat Tuesday, here you are again. I know I will be celebrating!

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous trip! :) I've never been there, but I have a friend that loves it as well. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got the chills! I missed out on debauchery when I was younger (a goodie-goodie), so I'm thinking I need to make up for it while I still can. I went to NOLA last summer with a bunch of people from work and had a BLAST!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh, what a smile you brought to my face today! Love Nawlin's and all the crazy memories (that I can remember) from the Crescent City!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwww Happy Fat Tuesday...I have never expierenced all the debauchery of New Orleans on this day...
    I feel like i am really missing out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hanging on a lamp post...LOL! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just can't go to NO and not have fun! I'll be over for Jambalaya. Around 6?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you TRULY experienced Mardi Gras the way it was mean to be experienced. By any chance, can you post or email me to Jambalaya recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never participated in a Fat Tuesday. . . I doubt I will at this point, but its fun to read about others . . . yes, post Jambalaya recipe please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound like great memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah, that brings back memories! when hubby and i were newlyweds, we would go to new orleans often. a fairly quick drive from galveston in his blue camaro. those were the days...

    ReplyDelete
  11. WHat a nice story. I get my jumbalaya fill from the Mississippi Mafia Mommies here.

    ReplyDelete