Thursday, February 12, 2009

The price of beauty.

I wish I knew the actual price for beauty.  I can tell you the price of ATTEMPTING beauty and it ain't cheap. 

Today I went to Ulta to use a reward gift certificate I got and to check out some hair accessories.  Now that my hair is longer and I can pull it up, I thought I would look at some cute hair puller uppy things.  I ended up buying none of those and actually wanted to go screaming from the aisle.  Some of those hair puller uppy things look very S&M.  I was too overwhelmed.  So I went for two things - hair accessories and a free product.  I was now down to one, and it would be free.

What did I end up with?  A somewhat pricey hairdryer (not $300 pricey like one they had, but over $100 pricey).  My hair stylist swears the "salon" dryers are truly better than my drugstore hair dryer, so I figure I would buy one like hers.  We'll see what happens.  They also have tons of fun makeup and I ended up with some new blush and eyeshadow.  And the clincher, let me tell you, was the lipstick.  I have searched my entire life for a wonderful red lipstick.  Every time I buy one, even when it looks good on me in the store, it turns out to be too brown or too orange or too fuschia/purple/pink.  Too something and not enough red.  I have never been able to find a true red, at least not one that looked like a true red on me.  Today, I noticed that their store brand lipstick had some new shades, so I checked them out.  Their store brand makeup is decent, especially for every day wear.  So I pulled out Moroccan Red with almost no hope it would be what I wanted.  I put some on my hand and out of my mouth came a little yelp of joy.  I kept looking at it.  Could it be?  Is this it?  Have I found the red shade of lipstick I have been searching for since birth?  My sweet lord, I have!

So I skipped out of the store with $165 less than I had when I went in.  I was clutching a new hair dryer to make my hair shine and not frizz/curl/puff; red lipstick that will actually make my smile red (ok, so I am a little late for the Go Red campaign day from Feb. 6), cool eyeshadow and some new Bare Minerals blush.  That is the price of my latest attempt at beauty.

12 comments:

  1. ok you will DEFINITELY need to do a follow up post on your new products. i can NOT believe you dropped that much on a hair dryer (but honestly, if you tell me it makes a difference, i will be at ulta in 1/2 an hr).

    in fact all this talk of beauty products makes me think i should take a little field trip of my own today. we'll see what i come home with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of stuff! It is so nice to finally find the right shade of anything. Good for you. It is wonderful that you could buy all that stuff. Yes, please do a follow up post complete with pics

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure about the hair dryer but I can so support you on the lipstick. I am sure I have wasted more than $165 on colors that were wrong over the years. I say if you find that one true one - take it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Ulta's eyeshadows! I bought a pretty pricey hairdryer from them too - but I waited until I had their 20% off coupon....I got the professional Rusk one....it's worked pretty well for me so far. My husband would KILL me if I spent $300 on a flat iron or hair dryer. He doesn't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that I would need to be spending my money on an actual PERSON to come to my house and use that blow dryer on my hair...how you all use those things and make it look so fabulous is AMAZING to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to buy yourself some pampering things once in a while. I'm glad you got to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm one of those who will be interested in hearing what you think of the hair dryer, too, after a few uses. I had to finally replace my very long-lived hair dryer a few weeks ago, and I darn near choked on having to spend more than $30 (on sale!) for one at Target.

    Of course, bear in mind that I have walked into Ulta and left bearing armloads of their bath and body wash and not even thought twice at what I paid. That place is like crack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Waiting for the pics! At least the lips! :) (Come on! I showed you my bikini!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, I have never been in a Ulta before. Sounds fun! All my stuff comes from CVS, maybe I should treat myself someday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been to Ulta, and it sounds like that is a good thing for my wallet. Let us know how the blow dryer works out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Bare Minerals! You will too.

    ReplyDelete