Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Jambalaya Recipe

I had a couple of requests for the recipe for Jambalaya, so here it is. I realized after I posted today that I have to work tonight and we will not be having Jambalaya for dinner and I won't have a picture of the delicious dish to post. I think this is a first since going to Mardi Gras in 1992!

Ingredients:
2 tbsp. peanut oil, divided
1 tbsp. Cajun seasoning
10 oz. Andouille sausage, slice into rounds
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 onion, diced
1 small green bell pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (16 oz.) can crushed Italian tomatoes
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
½ tsp. ground black pepper
½ tsp. hot pepper sauce (I use Tobasco)
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. file’ powder
1 ¼ cups uncooked white rice (I use brown)
2 ½ cups chicken broth

Directions:
Heat 1 tablespoon of peanut oil in a large heavy Dutch oven over medium heat. Season the sausage and chicken pieces with Cajun seasoning. Saute sausage until browned. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside. Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil and saute chicken pieces until lightly browned on all sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.

In the same pot, saute onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic until tender. Stir in crushed tomatoes and season with red pepper, black pepper, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce and file’ powder. Stir in chicken and sausage. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sitr in rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

I follow this recipe, plus I add ½ - 1 lb. of shrimp. I saute it after the sausage and chicken. You can alter the red pepper flakes and the Tobasco for a hotter or milder version. This is good topped with parmesean cheese and served with sourdough or garlic bread and a salad.

13 comments:

  1. Does this come in a pre-made, cut open the bag and dump the contents into a skillet and stir until thawed, version?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds pretty good! And easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am making this for friends on Sat. night -- my friend will be making dessert...bananas foster...I will have the fire extinguisher and a bucket of water ready!

    For all of the Under the Influence followers: I've made this before...it's great...and it's easy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you be so kind as to save me a doggie bag the next time you make this?

    Sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay when can I come over for dinner? I so love to cook but Jambalaya isnt my forte' and 3 out of 5 peeps in this house love it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds fabulous! I think this will be Sunday dinner! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all love Jambalaya! Just made for 12 of us out in California at a semi family get-together in the desert! Thanks for sharing your recipe and sorry you couldn't fix for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been thinking about making jambalaya lately, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can never get enough jambalaya. come to mardi gras next year, we can meet up and go crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Jo. No you didn't. You just had to post a recipe so that I would read it on Ash Wednesday when I am fasting! This sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds so good! I just need to buy 'file powder and a green pepper. Thanks for posting,

    ReplyDelete