Thursday, February 26, 2009

Hair and food

Did that title get your attention?

Deb asked for a picture of my hair with my new hairdryer. Here it is. Please note, I did take a nap today, so it does not look nearly as good as it did prior to the bed head look. The good news, even though it is wet and warm today, IE: humid, my hair's biggest enemy, the frizz is staying away. Of course, the true test won't be until the 100 degree heat and 90% humidity hit this summer. So here's the hair. It's a little lopsided, but this will have to do. I think the next time I take a hair photo, I will get one of those fans the models use to make their hair blow and look sexy. Oh yeah, also a photo shop expert to give me perky boobs, no wrinkles, perfectly white teeth; you know, someone to make me look totally fake.


Now on to the food. There is no hair in my food, thankfully. But I did make this delicious soup this evening to take to a potluck.

Here's the recipe. You could make it a Friday Lenten meal by using vegetable broth and substitute wild rice for the chicken. I added a little bit of wild rice to my soup, but I burned most of it and only had a few salvageable grains!

Chicken and Mushroom Soup
Ingredients:
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup each chopped onion, celery and carrot
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
5-1/2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Pinch dried tarragon
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
3 cups half-and-half cream
2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, onion, celery and carrot in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add the broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the cream, chicken, parsley, lemon juice and salt; heat through (do not boil).

Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).

5 comments:

  1. i hate you. so the hair looks awesome and the color is still looking incredible. you did the right thing on the hairdryer. save the $$$. and i noticed you have that perfect shade of red lipstick on!

    oh, and if you think you've one-upped me with this recipe, you obviously don't know how difficult and elaborate grilled cheese sandwiches are to prepare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit, I did come here looking for the aftermath of a food fight

    Your hair still looks great!

    It's a shame you burned dinner the recipe looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuuuuuum! I need to learn how to cook!

    And, um...excuse me. THAT is bed head?!?! Snort. You are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hair looks great! You don't need any photo shopping!

    ReplyDelete