Sunday, February 8, 2009

Craig's List - Be afraid, be very afraid...

On Saturday, we listed one of our vehicles on Craig's List. I don't know how much or what kind of experience you have with Craig's List, but I am kind of a Craig's List virgin. I don't really like buying other people's stuff and I prefer to just give my stuff away and write it off on taxes than to mess with uploading information and pictures, fielding calls and/or e-mails, and then having strangers come to my home.

Saturday changed that. We have two cars, a mini-van and a motorcycle. We only have two people in our house who drive. This car really has served its purpose with this family and needs to move on to a home where it will be used for spare parts loved and nurtured. Thanks to the fine German engineering of this car, it has truly lasted forever.  So I listed it on Craig's List. Within a couple of hours of listing it, we had one phone call and two e-mails in response to our ad. Man, there are some crazies out there. Here is the first e-mail:

Hello there, How are you doing over there, please i will like to know if your named item above is still available for sale, i am interested in buying it, take care of your self and i hope to read from you soon.

Now everywhere in Craig's List when you register and receive e-mails it warns you about avoiding scams, deal locally, watch out for cashiers checks, money orders, escrow, shipping, etc. This particular e-mail immediately says "Run, run away!" especially since the phone number the guy left was for Colorado and we live in Ohio. I only answered to him that yes, the car is still available. His next response:

Thanks for the prompt response, i want you to know that i am ok with the price and i will love to make an instant purchase,so pls do withdraw the advert from Craigslist,i don't mind adding an extra $50 dollars for you to take the advert down from criagslist so that i can be rest assured that am in hand of the car. I will want you to choose out of this mode of payment via check or Money Order and it will be over night payment due to the distance .You dont need to bother your self with the shipment ok,i will take care of that**Once again, I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping.i will have my shipping agent come over as soon as you confirm the payment. take care.

So at this point I respond with, "This is a cash only transaction. If you would like to have your agent make the cash payment in person, that can be arranged."

And that "interested" buyer was nothing compared to this e-mail:

i just got layed off want to trade i have a brand new 3 week old smith and wess 460v...purchased just before i got the boot from work..low ball from gun broker. i need a car bad mine is getting repoed now since i cant afford to pay it and i have 3 kids.

Uh-huh, like I want to trade my car for your murder weapon. What's up with that? My luck, we would end up with a gun, that we don't need or want, and then when we go to register it, we would be arrested on the spot for some unsolved murder. No thanks! And having worked in the automotive finance industry (granted, it was in Human Resources, but I still know a little about automotive financing!), your car doesn't get repoed two weeks after you lose a job. You have to miss many payments and avoid a lot of phone calls before they come for your car, so this guy should not have bought that nice, expensive gun to start with considering he was already late on his payments. I am going to go back through the local news and see if any repo men have been shot by a Smith & Wesson recently.

13 comments:

  1. I totally relate to your post! We just listed our boat with Craigslist over the weekend and we got some crazy email too! Who are these people????

    Love your blog! Will be back again:)

    ps..love your tribute for Tuesday:) I think a family sleepover is a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word! I've never done anything on Craig's list. I'm now thinking that is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we sell stuff on Craigslist all the time. I love Craislist. Hope the crazies stay away from here on out and you can sell your car soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I think I'd be a bit overwhelmed with the potential crazies! I'll be leaving this to the experts like Evolving Mommy Catherine, and live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of those people are nothing more than scammers (the first one) and it's a money game.

    We just got CraigsList here in west Texas and it's going to be fun to see it evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sold my sons bed on Craigslist. It sold within a hour of me liswting it. I think because it is a car that you are getting all he crazies. My friend also almost got scammed selling a car on there before so be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry the crazies are out in full force. They will be sorry when you open your can of Whoop A**
    on them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGosh...I have never used Craigslist...now i know why...I am a crazy magnet...oh do be careful!...did you do something different to your blog? or is it my pc playin tricks on me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still cracking up over this post. I hate having to deal with people like that so I leave that kind of stuff for my husband to deal with. The crazy thing, he's meet people and become friends with them. Weird...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I swear blogger hates me.. it ate my comment A-gain .. either that or you have comment moderator turned on.. if its the latter please forgive my stupidity.. if it is the former.. I basically said something about thanks for the warning because I was thinking about posting on Craigs list and how smart you are for not being taken

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post both cracks me up and confirms for me that (since we need our bigger ticket items for now) I'll just continue to cart things off to Goodwill and take the tax write off!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all, I will be showcasing my shiny new award this week, so thank you!

    And I LOVE craig's list, I read it sometimes for a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. we got new furniture when we moved a couple years ago and sold our old stuff through CL. I had the same thing- had to learn... this was before they gave warnings- but some of the responses just sounded fishy. Overall, though, I love using CL!

    ReplyDelete