Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Um, that's not the lotion you are smelling.

I had a client come in for a two hour massage. TWO HOURS. That is killer on a therapist, just so you all know. We do not look forward to two hour clients.

Anyway, I was starting the client on his back and starting the massage at the head/neck/shoulders. The guy was talking a little, which of course, requires me to respond to his discussion/questions. Since I was starting on his face and scalp, I didn't use any massage gel right away. One of the first things he says is, "I really like the smell of that lotion. It smells like orange blossoms." All I can think is, "Huh? I haven't even used anything yet and our lotion is scent free." (We are a scent free clinic - lotions, gels and creams are unscented, no scented candles, incense, etc. due to many clients having allergies and sensitivities to scented items, especially if they come in contact with the skin.)

Then I realized what it was and I had to do everything I could to contain my laughter. Yes, I was actually able to contain myself. Do you know what it was? I'll give you a second to think about it.

Waiting....waiting...



About 15 minutes before going into the massage I ate two of these. If the picture is not obvious, they are Orange Slices. That little slice of jellied orange heaven covered in coarse sugar. Yep, I guess whenever I talked, the smell of orange blossoms wafted from my mouth. And he thought it was the lotion. I didn't know what to say. I couldn't really say, "Oh, that's not the lotion, that's my breath!" So instead I said, "Oh, it's probably the soap I used to wash my hands." Which of course, it wasn't, because as I mentioned, we are a scent free clinic.

I was so paranoid to talk to him. I was afraid every time I spoke I would radiate orange blossoms and he would put two and two together and realize it was my breath. I was happy when the massage required me to move to his lower extremities and eventually his back.

What would you have done? How would you have responded if your massage therapist told you it was their breath that was that heavenly smell?

14 comments:

  1. no, I wouldn't have said a thing! I use avoidance in many things in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is friggin' hilarious and I love those orange slices too!! It is SO interesting to hear the thoughts of the therapist - I think you did the right thing to credit the lotion - I would not have liked to know it was my therapist's breath. Nice work.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. well at least he didnt say it smells like coffee and nicotene in here LOL Orange Blossoms works for me...I giggled and would have done just as you did... and now ummmm can you come here and massage me orange blossom breath?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was almost scared to read the post.. what with the title and my dirty mind and all..

    I would have told him what it was and maybe even offered one... oh wait. there goes the tip for implying he had bad breath..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have blurted out the truth, but that's how I am. I'm glad to hear that those jellied candies provide good breath coverage. I love the spearmint ones, and now I have an excuse to eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. if my therapist told me it was her breath from eating orange slices, i would put her in a headlock and not let go until she shared them with me. i ADORE those things. they have been around forever. my mom always had a stash. oh, this post brings back a good memory!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would of told him, maybe.
    At least it was garlic bread you had eaten. It was a good smell to him apparently.
    So it's ok, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Orange Slices as breath freshener -- that's a new one! I'll have to ask for those in my next care package from the US...

    La Mom
    An American Mom in Paris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hilarious! I'd love it if my massage therapist breathed Orange Blossoms on me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is funny. I think it depends on the massage therapist on whether I would care if they said it was their breath or not. I think soap was a good cover-up though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would definitely have told him and maybe gotten a good giggle out of it! But, I suppose it WOULD depend on the client--if you knew him well enough for him to be able to handle that sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Had it been me, he probably would have said, "Did you fart?!"

    Now you've gone and done it! I'm craving those orange thingies AND a 2-hour massage!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I honestly can't imagine anything better than sugar crusted orange breath!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hilarious!
    I'm not sure what I would have done. I guess played it off as my soap too.

    ReplyDelete