Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tuesday's Tribute

Tuesday's Tribute
A Jay and Deb Production.

I met you when I was just a teenager. Sixteen to be exact. I looked forward to seeing you on a regular basis. You stayed with me for most of my high school and college years. After college, we were together most of the time, but I did have some difficulties in 1991 and your presence with me was a little unreliable. 1992 came around and you magically reappeared without fail. You were with me consistently and I could rely on you to see me through. You got bigger and better as time went on and I was a happy, happy young woman.

I went on to get married and you stuck with me and my husband and eventually our first child. You continued to grow and provide. You were appreciated and never taken for granted. I was thankful. Then, in 1998, I walked away. Just like that. It was a hard decision. I loved having you and I loved the work it took to keep you with me. I turned my back, though, said goodbye to you and some of the freedom you provided and I walked away. I needed to focus on other things and you were distracting me. I didn't know how long we would be separated. My plan did not go that far into the future. Your absence left a rather large hole in our life. My family sacrificed and made changes so that we could live without you. And we did it. We did it well. While life without you was an adjustment, the benefits we received were, and are to this day, worth every bit of sacrifice, worry, discomfort and change. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't change a thing. I would say goodbye again in a heartbeat.

We were estranged for ten years. TEN YEARS! During that time, things were crazy - two more kids were added to our family, we had two relocations and I had two brain surgeries. We were probably better off without you during those times because the additional stress of having you in my life would have broken me. It would have been a lot of work to keep you during those times. In 2008, I invited you to rejoin us and you accepted my invitation. I don't have to work as hard for your attention as I once did and I don't have to work as long. Though you are much smaller now and have a lot less impact on our household than when you were a part of my earlier life, I am thankful just the same. I enjoy having you around and look forward to each time we are together. You are my paycheck and I am glad you are back.

19 comments:

  1. Ah, paychecks - who needs em!?! I reveled in the 3 months of maternity leave that I had. Wouldn't change that time for anything. But, it is nice to have a little break, and a little extra cash flow. Glad that you're happy to have it again. I loved reading this - I kept reading with anticipation, trying to figure out what it was you were talking about. And, I'll admit it - I even cheated half way through to see what it was because I just couldn't take it anymore! Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I just thought I'd let you know that I think you should totally give a tribute to donuts next week. They deserve it. And by the way - you have a really cute haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Jo you rock.

    Talk about misdirection and redirection, only to drop the bomb on the punchline...I had so much fun reading this.

    Fantastic Tribute, ma'am.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read it twice to thoroughly enjoy the pay off (badabum), excellent.

    I don't miss the jobs, but yes, the paychecks were quite nice.

    I guess I'll settle for toddler kisses and kindergarten hugs for now. At least I know they won't bounce!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At first I thought you were talking about your period! I'm sure many of us can say that we were so THANKFUL when Aunt Flo showed up! But after the first few sentences, I realized that you weren't talking about your period. (Plus...I couldn't believe that you would have a tribute to your period! Was this some weird sort of send off to a new journey of menopause???) So, after being so wrong at the beginning....I figured it out when you mentioned 91 and 92. Great, great tribute!!! I keep reading the very beginning and crack up laughing with all the things I could say...but I won't....I'm a good friend....and you've got good dirt on me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i loved this! and you revealed a few little things about yourself that i would love to know more about.

    now that my boys are older, i am thinking about inviting a paycheck into my home, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I had no idea you were going to end up with a paycheck!

    Thanks for the award and now you've got one too. But you probably have it already!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spent the whole time I was reading this trying to figure it out...is she talking about a car? a dishwasher? Ah, a paycheck she's a clever one that Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I had that relationship!!! You don't know HOW bad I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this one!! Nice work! I love the reveal - just the kind of storytelling I love....

    I kept thinking you were talking about a big house or something and you had downsized but it wasn't quite making sense.

    By the way - I am 64% blog addicted according to your test. I wrote a post about it but I'm not sure if I'll post it.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous post. I, too, cheated halfway through! And I, too, was intrigued by some of the thigns you talked about that I was unaware of before! What a mystery you are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! I look forward to a paycheck soon as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kudos to you! I did not figure out what it was until you told me. Very well written.
    And I miss mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, What a great post. Love the reveal! I hope you are enjoying the job along with the paycheck :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paycheck??? What the heck is that? It's been so long since I've seen one, I'm not sure I know what the hell it is anymore. Let me go google it now...

    ReplyDelete
  16. While I was reading this, I tried to figure out what you were talking to. And I thought of these things: God, crack, red meat.

    And then you said pay check. You got me.

    ReplyDelete