Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Tuesday's Tribute: My Three Sons

This is my second time participating in Tuesday's Tribute. Don't worry, at some point I will stop counting how often I participate. Check out Jay at Halftime Lessons and Deb at Dirty Socks & Pizza to participate or check out other tributes.

This week, again, I am doing a "nice" tribute. One of these days, though, I will do one of my not so awesome smackdowns as a tribute!

Go ahead, start tapping your toes and whistling, at least those of you who are old enough to remember the show My Three Sons. Today's tribute goes to my three boys.

Big E - Is there a commune somewhere that he can move to? I have never seen a child who has to be surrounded by friends, people, anyone with a pulse, as much as he does. He really needs to live somewhere where he can just wander in and out of a variety of homes, always finding a friend to talk to or play with. I am fairly sure if I told him the entire sixth grade class, all 850 of them, could come to live with us, he would self implode with excitement. He always wants to know what's next so he can decide who to invite to join us/him for whatever the "next" is.

He is the pickiest eater I know. His menu consists of any form of breaded chicken, fries, applesauce, grapes, blueberries, pears and milk. Oh, and anything chocolate.

He is a good kid and has good friends. He gets good grades and his teachers say he is a nice kid to have in class. He loves sports and especially enjoys playing baseball and basketball.

Sous Chef - He is such a sweet kid. And so far, he is our smartest child. He has tested into gifted education and recently tested to receive gifted ed services through 8th grade. We discovered when he was very young that his intellectual abilities were going to lead him in this direction. The professionals who told us that were correct.

He loves video games. He loves to cook and often checks out cookbooks from the school library. He loves swimming and is working to pass the last two levels of swimming so he can be on the year round swimming team. In the summer it's nearly impossible to get him out of the pool.

He has a streak of "intolerance" that drives us up the wall. It usually involves someone looking at him for too long, humming a song or just generally being in the same room as he is. These irritations almost always involve the youngest brother. Read on.

CJ - He is a cuddler. He's five and will still come to me and say "can I sit on your lap?" He tells me everyday that I am pretty, that my hair is pretty, that he likes what I am wearing and that he loves me "1,009 miles". But oh, is he ornary. He often has that look of "I know exactly what I am doing is going to get me in trouble and I am going to do it anyway. While I watch you watch me." This usually involves tormenting Sous Chef.

Having two older brothers, he often seems to be an older five than his friends at preschool. I guess that comes from keeping up with the big guys and their friends. He's also permitted to do a lot of things at this age that the older two were not. They haven't noticed that yet, but I know there will come a day when they say "I wasn't allowed to do that at X age!" That's the bonus of being the youngest, I guess.

He loves to read and color. He is looking forward to kindergarten in the fall. He is a busy child who could probably join Big E on the commune and live happily ever after.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have three uniquely terrific boys there. Being the youngest is pretty cool - I think parents have relaxed a bit - until the older one messes up, and the parents clamp down! That's what happened to me, anyway.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great to hear about families...one of these days Im gonna take you on a stroll through mine...not quite the praisefest...;-)

    Great Tribute!!

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your oldest sounds a lot like my own sixth grader, except I'll toss in my envy that at least yours will eat blueberries and pears! Trying to get my son to eat fruit started to wane as he was getting out of baby food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your youngest sounds like mine. I can picture that ornery look perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww this was a BEAUTIFUL tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big E- yes, there is such a place it's called college dorm and he'll LOVE IT! Good luck to you!

    Sous Chef- sounds a little OCDish- a man after my own heart!

    CJ- sounds sweet!!!

    Sounds like a great bunch of guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a heartwarming tribute. It's amazing how a family evolves into having such unique individuals in it. You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some pictures of Big E when he was little at the park in his plaid Gymboree jacket. I remember that he was always holding a little car.
    When I would hold him he would pat my back-what a sweetheart!
    I wish that I had a chance to get to know Sous Chef and CJ.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get that with my youngest too...and he's not even 2 yet. Watching me watching him get into trouble, and then he'll say "Uh-Oh". Uh-oh, ya damn right!

    They all sound like really great kiddos ~ and I know you treasure them all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Three boys - congratulations! They sound amazing each in their own way. I hope my lil' dude is like your lil' dude. I need more I'm pretty comments coming my way.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is so precious and all three of them sound yummy! a nice balance (which is key to surviving motherhood). i am sure they all drive you nuts at times, but i bet they are just adorable!

    and i LOVED my three sons! robbie, chip and RATS... i can't remember the little one. am i right on the older two?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your 5 yr old sounds like my almost 5 yr old! He's always about the "I love yous" So sweet!

    ReplyDelete