Monday, January 12, 2009

Tuesday's Tribute: Man Laundry


I am new to this Tuesday Tribute thing and I hope I do it justice. It is the brain child of Jay at Halftime Lessons and Deb at Dirty Socks & Pizza. You should go visit them. Basically, what the Tuesday's Tribute involves is shining the light on someone else for the day instead of talking about yourself. I'm really good at talking about others, especially if it involves a smackdown. In this case, there is no smackdown, so that presents its own challenge. It does involve my husband though and just a LITTLE bit of wondering about how that brain of his works. So on with the show:

My husband is a huge help around the house. He lived on his own long enough (he was 31 when we got married) and bought a house right out of college so that he is well versed in housekeeping and he really doesn't mind helping around here. Sometimes I need to "guide" him, but I can handle that.


Lee at MWOB recently wrote about her husband and coupons. That blog entry had me chuckling because I experience the same thing with my husband. And then this weekend, the laundry reiterated some of the same types of issues as husbands and coupons. Laundry for my husband? Not a problem. Special laundry? That's a whole other issue. Often, when he grabs all the dirty laundry on the weekend and goes to the laundry room to get started, he will inevitably come across something of mine that throws him off - a sweater or two, some undergarments, etc. Instead of asking if/how to wash these, he just tosses them onto the laundry room counter top. Or worse yet, he washes them like he washes everything else without asking for any special instructions. Yesterday, I was heading out with some girlfriends and had laundry in the washer and dryer and more to do. I let him know IF he was going to finish up the laundry and I was NOT asking him to actually do that, I needed the item in the washer that was in the "laundry net" to be dried flat and not in the dryer and that the items ON the washer needed to go into the laundry net and put in the washer with their appropriate color. When I first mentioned "if he was going to finish up the laundry" he interrupted me with "Of course I'll finish it. I know that will help you out quite a bit." By the time I got through my explanation of the "special laundry" he said, "Well, maybe I'll just let you take care of it when you get home." What is it that men cannot be responsible for washing the special garments. I know he would tell you he would be moritified that he would ruin one of my cashmere sweaters or my beloved red bra, but really, I gave him very detailed instructions. What could go wrong?

21 comments:

  1. Oh, so very much! My husband lived at home when we met. He has had ample time to learn laundry since that fateful day (heh), but it still sometimes confuses him.

    Yesterday, I had the boys help me sort clothes for wash (I swear, their future wives will adore me and allow me to live with them when I'm old and feeble), and it was truly a lesson! An hour or so later, I had them try it on their own with a few spare pieces. Let's just say little boy underwear, with their various and colorfule designs, can really throw a kid for a sorting loop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my husband is a mess- In his defense, I enable it to NOT improve- I don't want to leave anything to chance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is funny. My hubby is really good about laundry, but I do all of our "special" laundry too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother has the same issue with my dad! He is a laundry-doin' fool (in a good way). But ask him to do something with any extra "rules," and it's like rocket science. I think their brains (seriously, I've read this somewhere!) can only handle so many details at once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is awesome, but laundry is one thing he is supposed to stay far away from! Assuming he doesn't want my 9 year old to be able to fit into all of my clothing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh now this is a hot topic! my hubs is good at "helping out" as long as there are no complications (ie: the coupon story, the special laundry). if there are such, it is just "too overwhelming" and he can't handle it. or is it, he WON'T handle it? i don't know... he's a grown man with a good education. go figure.

    PLEASE try to work one of your smackdowns into our tuesday's tribute. and hey, you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband drives me crazy when he does laundry, because he always forgets it and leaves the load in the washer without putting it in the dryer, and/or will just forget that there's clothes in the dryer to be folded and instead they sit in there getting all wrinkly. I don't know what's happened with him lately, but I am grateful for him lending an extra hand around the house lately, b/c it is all too much for me to handle on my own. I was lucky enough to go out for a haircut last Friday & came home to a CLEAN house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never let my husband do laundry anymore he has shrunk or bleached too many of my things. BUT maybe that was his plan for getting out of laundry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how I've tried to pass this on to my DH. He just isn't able LOL! But, he does a lot of our dishes WoooHOOO! Good for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My hubby does a lot around the house. However, he does not do laundry....EVER! And the problem is that he has more "special" items than I do. And God forbid that I should not fold his pants with a crease down the middle. Oh yeah and his "nice" pants...those have to go the cleaners. He likes them to be starched until they can stand on their own! But he does not do laundry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is something to be said for men marrying at an older age once they have had time to take care of themselves!

    My husband was 31 when we married (I was 25) and he is very capable. Great TT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love to post a comment to the Raconteurs! My Gray Fox is color blind, so his laundry work is a NIGHTMARE! However, it is his b-day today, so I'm sending him a shout out (and a photo shopped pic that will annoy him on my blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My beautiful white blouse turned light blue thanks to Big Cheese "helping out."
    I feel your pain!

    PS- Sorry I've been out of touch. I have an eye infection and can't get on the computer much - blurry vision.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you just ask "What could go wrong?" when talking about a male doing "delicates"
    LMAO I know it was a rhetorical question, but I couldn't help but laugh, first at your story.. then at your question. Good luck with all of that

    ReplyDelete
  15. My hubby is the laundry pro--he actually is pickier than I. But I make up for this by overseeing his management of the girls. I wish I gave him more credit for how super he is with my two. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL
    Welcome, and GREAT post!!

    My wife wont let me touch her laundry, and she wont touch mine, either.

    With an attitude like that, Im amazed we ever conceived children.

    Happy Tuesday's Tribute! Hope to see you again next week!

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  17. What could go wrong? Was there ever a more loaded question?

    I adore my Hubs, but his idea of doing the laundry is to the washer, to the dryer, to a mess of a pile on the bed.

    Most it goes right back in on Monday morning because I won't iron!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too funny, maybe he's like me and when my husband tries to get me to do something for him with the cars or other manly thing and he tries to explain it to me and I'm just like I'll wait for you to do it! LOL
    I don't let mine near the laundry. When I'm gone on vacay or something I'll come home and he will have washed all the clothes together, no sorting. What the...

    ReplyDelete
  19. If it doesn't involve a screwdriver or a drill, and it takes more than one step, it's too much for them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My hubby is definitely laundry challenged. He does his own and I do mine. Because I really don't like it when he washes my bras with his blue jeans.

    I gave you an Honest Scrap Award on my blog. Wear it in good health!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL...EVERYTHING could go wrong even with detailed instructions...
    mr gp aka NOT SAWYER is banned from laundry he dosnt check pockets-he washed middle beans shorts that had a sharpie and ink pen in it then he dried them ruined my favorite jeans-he also washed said beans ipod...how hard is it to check pockets LOL

    ok i am done ranting...your lucky that he helps you

    ReplyDelete