Thursday, January 15, 2009

It's necessary for me to be a host.

This blog was inspired after I left a comment for a bloggy friend regarding housekeeping. The one sure fire way to make sure I clean my house is by hosting different things here. Last night it was book club. I would NOT want to have my book club buddies over to a messy house and crappy food, therefore, I am forced to clean and prepare a couple of yummy items as a form of self preservation. And it works. at least for me. For the first time since having a houseful of family at the holidays, my house is clean. And by clean, I don't mean spotless. Don't look too closely in some of the corners or at the baseboards. Hopefully, no one noticed that one banister still has the holiday greenery on it. I'm getting to it. I swear. By clean, I mean I vacuumed, I dusted, I decluttered and wiped down the countertops and kitchen table. The kitchen floors have been mopped, at least enough to get off the surface dirt and spots. I folded up all the blankets we use while laying around and reading and watching tv. I did scrub the bathroom because, well, I have four males with pathetic aim living in this house and bathroom cleaning is a must. I then cleaned everything up after the book clubbers left so when I woke up this morning, my house was still clean. I LOVE that. It makes me want to dance all around the house and enjoy the cleanliness, because Lord knows, it may only last a few more minutes!

This weekend we are having a football playoffs party. Not much cleaning will be required since it's already taken care of. Bonus - two events in one week!

11 comments:

  1. GENIUS! I've always been a nervous hostess, but using the double bonus of a clean house as an incentive has spurred me to seriously reconsider!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing! Cleanliness fueled by the possibility of embarrassment. We're remodeling our powder room, so I haven't hosted in a while. It shows. On the upside, I don't have to clean that bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we are having people over this weekend too- family for my son's birthday- maybe I could just serve lots of liquor so they won't notice the mess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today I need to go through my house and clean up under the guise that I'll be having people here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow lady - sounds like I need to plan a party. The divine sign wasn't powerful enough for me I guess. I got a few things done but not enough. Never, ever enough. I want to be dancing around my clean house.....but when?

    And a playoff party? Go Arizona Cardinals!! My dad's been a fan FOREVER and finally, finally we have a chance....however slight it may be. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HILARIOUS! I am exactly the same. Everytime my husband sees me cleaning and organizing his response is, "Who's coming over?". Bastard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like having a clean house, I feel happier in a clean house but I think my big motivator most days is that I watch my friends daughter and I know she is going to be in my house 3 days a week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lot of times everything gets thrown into my bedroom with the door shut! And then I get nervous that someone will need to use the master bathroom if the regular bathroom is occupied!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! See.. I just don't invite peole over, then I never have to worry about what my house looks like. I agree though, when I DO give it a good cleaning, it feels good

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes! that always works. if you want a clean house, invite people over. except i can't stand having people in my house. relatives included. is that bad?

    hope you're reading something good.... and i LOVE sarah mc's ice cream! she rocks.

    ReplyDelete