Tuesday, January 6, 2009

In the news

It's been a while since I have gone off on current events. Mainly because I haven't watched the news for the last month. The last couple of days I have been bombarded with news. I'm not sure why, I guess I have been too lazy to change the channel. That and I was actually up this morning when the Today Show came on, which is my main source of news and frivolous other information.

So here we go:

Jett Travolta - what a tragedy. I personally can't even imagine, can't even wrap my brain around what this family is going through. And you know what? Having the news report every little detail of what happened, what the parents' last words to their son were, who rode in the ambulance, who said what in the ambulance, where Ella Blue was and more will not change the fact that I cannot even imagine what this family is going through. For God's sake, can't the news have a little respect? What kind of a question is "How is John doing?" A stupid one, I do know that. How do those idiot reporters think he and his wife are doing? Do they think we, the television audience are too stupid to figure out they couldn't be more miserable, and therefore they better ask so that we are all aware of this misery? No words can convey their pain and really, it's none of our business. Let them be. Let them mourn in peace and quiet, without the news cameras and reporters analyzing their every move.

The Obama girls go to school - woo hoo! While I think these two little girls are adorable, I don't really need to see their first day at their new school. And neither does anyone else except for maybe their family. Since watching someone else's children, whom you do not know and have no personal relationship with, go off to their first day at school is about as exciting as I don't even know what, I can only assume the news media was waiting for some horrific tragedy to happen that they wouldn't want to be scooped on. Since, thankfully, there wasn't, they decided to drone on about how many cars were in the motorcade, what they wore, who walked them into the building and on and on and on. Get a grip. It's not that exciting.

Roland Burris - what a ding dong. He may be a really intelligent, experienced and best guy for the job Senator, I honestly don't know. But guess what, you fool, you can't be given an appointment by a guy who has been indicted by the judicial system and expect it to work out in your favor. You should have said "No" and hoped someone with some credibility gave you the nod for the appointment. I have only heard good things about you, that it wasn't that the Senate thinks you're a bad appointment, but that they will approve no one appointed by Blagojevich (I had to look up that spelling!). Didn't you see that one coming? I did and I am not even a politician (and thanks to this blog and several other discrepancies, never will be). Stay home and don't try to share that seat with a properly appointed official. You're probably going to find your ass on the ground.

Gaza/Israel - I am not even close to understanding this mess. I don't want to be. It weighs too heavily on me and is one of the many reasons I lay awake at night worrying and have resulted to medication to alleviate my anxieties. I know the Palestines want something and the Israelis want something. This something has to do with borders, control of who can go where, attacks to stop. I also know their differences go back to the beginning of time and appear to stem from religious differences, as well as other issues. And I do know this - I just want to scream "STOP IT!" Really. Is it that hard to get along with others? We are all different but we are all so much alike. Peace, family, love, and the necessities of life. Everyone wants that. And I don't think fighting to the death is a way to get these things. I realize the glitch lies in the area that some people define those things differently and want to take it away from others and abuse the system. But come on! Take it somewhere else. I think when government leaders can't get along, there should be an off-site location they can go to duke it out - boxing, kick fighting, whatever, but stop dragging civilians, especially children, into your blood shed.

I clearly could not be a journalist. I don't think anyone would hire me to tell viewers to change the channel and mind their own business and I certainly don't think those in charge, or those who think they should be in charge, want to hear my simple, common sense (or at least in my mind they are!) solutions to the problems they aren't able to fix.

14 comments:

  1. The Travolta- horrible. I was stunned.

    Obama girls- I agree- it's not a story- let them go to school.

    Burris- I agree- it's ashame that retard nominated you because you may be a decent man, but come on- distant yourself from the asshat- it makes you look bad!

    Gaza- ME TOO!! It seems awful, just awful, but I just don't get what drives them and how they work- beyond me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been tuning out the news lately myself and instead focusing on mindless trashy reality tv. My brain needs a break now and then from all the scandal & insanity of the world. I've got plenty of it all in my own little bubble.

    "News" has gone overboard....I agree, I don't need every minute unimportant detail about shit no ones really gives 2 s#&%$ about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK you! Enough with the Travoltas, the Obamas, the every...little..detail...
    of...everyone's...life. Who gives a flying flip? Roland Burris...seriously, the guy's like 80. He probably knows he's looking like a doodie-head, but what does he have to lose? I mean, the Senate let's you in, you're set. The Senate doesn't let you in, you get lovely media attention. Sheesh. And Israel/Gaza...ptthttt, I agree with you in that the definitions are different than we have here, but what definition worth its salt involves violence? I mean, really.

    ReplyDelete
  4. such sad news for the Travolta/Preston family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. amen.
    amen.
    amen. and...
    amen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our media is absolutely insane about the Israel/Hamas violence. Every headline screams at what the terrible Israelis are doing. No one mentions what started this latest battle. You read about how poor, defenseless Palestinians are being killed. 8 paragraphs later they mention in passing that there were rockets launched at a mall in Tel Aviv. They tell all accounts, by all parties, of John Travolta's son (a trajedy) and the Obama girls (who cares) but are very one-sided when it comes to sensatializing the middle east struggle with terrorist organizations (which is with HAMAS is).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julia's comment is brilliant. Couldn't agree more. I LOVE it when you write about current events Kim - I'm glad you're back on the bandwagon and hell yeah I would pay you for your point of view because it's way more common sense insightful than what the media gives us! Right on sister!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right. About all of it. The world's gone mad, and the media is making it worse. Much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Someone needs to tell the media to butt out. Might as well be you. I found you here by clicking on your name when you left me a blog comment. So don't go commenting on any family blogs while you're logged in. :)

    BTW, I had a 2nd opinion yesterday that matched the 1st. So I guess my head's on hold until something catastrophic happens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Julia for your intelligent assessment. The LA Times has been guilty of this one-sided reporting FOR SURE. As Tzipi Livni said, the world needs to stay out of this right now, because Hamas needs to be stopped. When they say they want to make Gaza a "graveyard", is Israel supposed to sit back and do nothing? Israel is also looking at Iran and many believe that Iran is using Hamas as a pawn to get what it wants. My bottom line opinion is that I love Israel. Of blessed memory, six million + Jews were murdered. The land formerly known as Palestine was established as a country known as Israel to give the Jews a place to call home. Israel must defend itself. Always. No exceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally felt like the coverage of the Travolta tragedy was voyeuristic (?). I just felt disgusting watching it, so I turned it off; it's just so disrespectful not to leave them alone at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I couldn't agree more. The media makes me completely insane. I have to turn off the news a couple days a week, I just can't handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know I just don't watch the news anymore. So I usually find stuff out on blogs or my google home page.
    I hate the one sided ness. On either side good or bad. Come on tell the WHOLE story.
    The Travoltas-horrible! Please let them be. I wonder what the journalists/interviewers are thinking? Or do they?

    ReplyDelete