Thursday, January 29, 2009

Announce the schedule, please!

Holy shit. I woke up to what sounded like water spraying everywhere. It's cold here, there's been an ice storm and people are losing their electricity, so naturally, I think a pipe has burst and I am running through the house to get to the laundry room. I am not 100% sure why I think that is the most logical place for a pipe to burst, but when it's midnight and you have been unexpectedly thrust into the awake world after falling asleep on the couch watching televsion, who really is thinking clearly?

So off I go, thinking at any moment the ceiling above me is going to come crashing down because maybe it's the upstairs bathroom that has sprung a leak and the wet, flooded 2nd floor/1st floor ceiling won't bear the soaking wet weight. I go skidding through the kitchen towards the laundry room. Wait, I think the spraying water is under the kitchen sink. How would that pipe freeze? It's right in the middle of the house? My mind is going nuts - I'm still not awake but my heart is racing like mad, already worrying about how much this is going to cost, how much damage is going to be done, and worse, having to stay awake even longer to clean up the mess! So I stop, try to clear my head, and then notice the dishwasher is on. I think my husband should warn me when he sets it to "delay start".

9 comments:

  1. Talk about heart attack. Is your insurance paid up? Come to think of it...is your HUSBAND'S?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG- I freak out just like that! But, luckily my husband doesn't know how to work anything but the shower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dont get me started on dishwashers. i think ours is supposed to be one of those silent ones, but clearly does not abide by its description. glad you aren't up to your knees in water and drywall this a.m.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! What a relief, huh? That's too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must chill! Sounds like you need some of your own medicine--your own personal massage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did he set it that way accidentally? I don't think me or my dude know how to delay start our dishwasher!! Another sign of true domestically challenged people. Good news it was no leak!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! I am glad it was nothing worse than that.

    My daughter does crap like that all the time. I freak out too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's funny. I thought you were going to say your husband was peeing in the bedroom (or something crazy like that!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That totally sounds like something I would do. I am such a weird sleeper, it is good to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete