Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Where's the fluff?

I have said before, I am not a huggy, touchy person. The exception to that is with my kids, especially my youngest, who has been the most cuddly of the three and he can't get enough of my hugs, kisses, hand holding and cuddling. From others, I don't mind the polite quick hug and cheek peck, but anything more than that, again with the exception of my kids and husband, make me feel like I am full of static electricity.

I have also talked briefly about my previous life as a Human Resources Manager. I spent six years at one company before leaving to be home with my family. I adored the job, respected the company and thoroughly enjoyed working directly with the CEO and President on a daily basis.

I remember at one point, I hired a Chief Operations Officer. Because of the level of this position, there were things involved in his hiring/compensation package that were quite different from the "normal" hire. So I had to create a new welcome letter, etc. to get his package put together and in his lap for the final review of the position, compensation, benefits, etc. Me and the CEO were reviewing everything to make sure we had everything documented properly. Then he laughed and said, "Where's the fluff. Don't you think this letter should display that we are excited about hiring him and having him come to this company. Warm it up some!"

Do you know how hard I struggled to make that letter sound "warm"? I am a to the point person. I am not one for fluff. I say what I have to say. At times, I am brutally honest and blunt. I don't mind sharing my opinions, and if it's a really important one, I might pound it into your head.

So this blogging stuff some days is hard for me. I find my writing at times to be very dry and boring. I wonder who will read this, it's worse than reviewing tax preparation directions? And then I go back and try to spruce it up. And then I find all kinds of mistakes after I hit publish. I don't know if your feeds show my gzillion publishes or if it just shows one. If you are getting repeat publishings, sorry about that! At least now you know why!

And as for that offer letter? I did manage to get it full of fluff. The CEO cracked up and high fived me or hugged me or something and said "I think you got it!" Now if I could just work it into my daily life.

11 comments:

  1. I like your posts - I think they're true to who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fluff... I like that! I also like your posts. I wouldn't follow if I didnt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. amen! I feel the same way sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only get one in my feed, so correct away.

    And sometimes I think I need to tone my posts DOWN a bit so people think I'm a respectable 31-year-old and not some loony junior high girl.

    And also, I always save your posts for last because I like them best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a warm and fluffy person, either--I'm jealous of people who are comfortable greeting other people with huge hugs even if they barely know each other--I always feel awkward doing that. Anyway, I'm a writer (thanks for recommending my book--that's how I found your site) and I think it's more important to be honest than to gush when you write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, If you are not about fluff, I wouldn't use it! Your blog should be about who YOU are, you keepin' it real. That's what will keep people coming back for more!
    xoxo,

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are all "who we are." when we write. I like the fact that am finally happy with my own voice. I hope you will be comfortable with your own voice!!!

    Congrats on the letter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! you turned off your word verification!! i'm so happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Kim - your posts are not dry and boring. We all feel that way when we post our spewings from our brains. It's part of the process. I agree with the almighty Vodka Mom - it's your own voice and people like reading it. Enough said.

    But if i saw you right now, I'd give you a big HUG! ;-0

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know this one's "old hat" to you, but I wanted to pass on some "new bloggy friend love" with an award for you over at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am jsut hear for the music. Just kidding. : )

    ReplyDelete