Thursday, December 25, 2008

Really? Really? Is this how you want to play?

I certainly wasn't planning to blog today, being Christmas and all. However, I thought I would sit down, vent and be on with my day ... and a drink ... and maybe a pill.

Anyway, I wrote a few days ago about my mom's disappointment at us not going to my brother's with everyone for Christmas Eve and to attend church. Well, I am pretty sure disappointment has given way to pissed off. She called this morning and talked to my youngest son. She asked to talk to my oldest son but he was at the neighbor's playing Nerf War with their new Nerf guns and thens he asked to talk to my middle son, who was busy with a new toy. She didn't ask to talk to me. So I called back later and my dad answered. My dad NEVER answers the phone unless my mom is not home. Thanks to caller ID, I can only assume they knew it was me and she wasn't going to answer. I chatted with him a moment and then said adios.

I am still totally confused by someone choosing this behavior over being thankful for what they do have - we see my parents and family on a regular basis for dinners, lunches, birthdays and more. We just saw them on Sunday. All of that and she is choosing to behave this way because of ONE invitation decline? I don't get it. If given the opportunity, I will share this with her. She is the type of person who might just stew for a while and then pretend nothing happened until she gets pissed again. Or she may let the rage go and throw a big fit. I'll wait to see because I am trying not to let her suck me into her childish ways.

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better already.

On a positive note, we thoroughly enjoyed our Christmas Eve. I am a little embarrassed to say we even boycotted church. I was in my pajamas around 4:00 and we cooked, ate and played. I wrapped some presents and we all stayed up pretty late. I have never seen three kids rush off to bed as quickly as these three when we said, "Ok, we need to go to bed so Santa can come." Even my 11 yr. old, who knows that his dad and I are Santa, went rushing off.

They were so excited this morning and love their gifts. They each only get three gifts under the tree - one to represent each of the gifts the wise men brought to baby Jesus. We don't sign who they are from and they have never asked "Did Santa bring this?" or "Who is this from?" They tend to just say "thanks, Mom and Dad and Santa and everyone!" They do also get gifts from each other and several stocking stuffers, usually stuff to go with their "big" gifts, a Webkinz, a book(s), some candy...

7 comments:

  1. My oldest son has had the best time playing with those Nerf things today too. I've got those blasted darts ALL over my house!

    I hope your Mom snaps out of her pissiness sooner than later!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, definitely something to get off your chest to her if given the opportunity!

    And I love the idea of the 3 gifts, like from the wise men. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend does the same thing 3 gifts-something to wear, something to read/learn, and a want.
    So sorry to hear about the craziness with the mom. Sometimes you just need to do your own thing. Forgoing church not a big deal. In my church we don't have Christmas Eve or Christmas day serivce unless it happens to fall on a Sunday. It's all in how you celebrate the spirit of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the kind of holiday you will remember for years to come as opposed to the kind you have to make other people happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My siblings get together on Christmas Eve, but years ago, we started doing our own thing, and we absolutely love it. I'm very glad we started our own traditions; they mean a lot to the kids. Staying home also meant that our kids were in bed at a reasonable hour and that Santa could come earlier than 2am. The bad part of this is that a couple of sibs don't understand or respect our reasons for not joining the Christmas Eve gathering; they take it personal and make negative comments. I've finally decided that that's on them. It is hard, though. Sorry your mom wasn't happy. I don't know what difference the day makes; why does it have to be THAT day that people get together? Pretty stubborn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The three wisemen gift limit sounds great. I may have to borrow that in the future.
    I hope you can work things out with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you did what you wanted and had a great time. I'm a big believer of Christmas celebrated in pajamas.

    ReplyDelete