Tuesday, December 2, 2008

People to avoid

Welcome to two more followers! (These are NOT the people to avoid. I will get to that in a minute.) Georgie at Decisionally Challenged and also Mom of 3 Crazy Kids. I think her blog title says it all.

Yesterday I was at Target buying a few more Christmas gifts for the kiddos. I heard the voice of someone I recognized and when I walked by the aisle and realized who it was, I kept on walking. VERY quickly. Do you ever do that? It's not that I don't LIKE this woman, but, well, I just don't really like this woman. She hasn't done anything specific to me. I just don't enjoy being around her. We are on a board committee together and she is one of those women/moms who signs up her kids for EVERYTHING. And what she considers to be the BEST of EVERYTHING. Then she spends all of her time complaining about how busy they are and how expensive everything her kids are involved in is. Come on. Isn't the solution obvious? I am guessing she may not enjoy me and one of the other moms very much, either. One day she was complaining about her daughter having gymnastics several times a week and how much it cost per month and the expense of the competitions and ON and ON and ON. I finally just looked at her and said, "unless my child was headed to the Olympics, I don't think I would sacrifice so much for one child. When does your family spend time together?" She stopped, her mouth dropped open and then one of the other moms started cracking up and said, "oh, I am so with YOU!"

Then at another meeting she was bitching and moaning about her son having to practice football in the rather hot summer evening. Several other practices had been canceled, but not her son's practice. Not being one who has mastered keeping my mouth shut (but I promise, I am better at this than I used to be), I said, "if I thought it was too hot and unsafe for my child, I wouldn't send him to practice." Again, the stupid mouth hanging open look. Her response, "You just don't understand how important football is in this community." My response, "Oh, I totally get it. But I wouldn't risk my son's health for it." Now, do I really think the heat was a risk? Probably not, but I wanted her to shut up. If she really thought it was a risk, she shouldn't have sent him. Obviously, she had sent him and thought it was ok, she just wanted something to bitch about. And I think she wanted us to know HER son was on a team that was so dedicated that they practice in the hot, hot evening. I guess her daughter must have been on a break from gymnastics.

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you - I can't stand moms like that. It's bad for kids to be too busy. They may be stressed out and not even know it. She's not doing her kids any favors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy! Yes, I know a couple of people like that. Though in one's defense she only has one child and he is her life!
    I have been known to "hide" in a store to avoid a certain person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I avoid "those people" constantly- mostly because I just rolled out of bed, but sometimes so I don't have to talk to them. We live in one of "those" communities- where you are defined by the elite, numerous activities your children are involved in. Needless to say, I am not in the "in crowd"- I can't keep up with that kind of crap and no way will my kids go to practice if it's too hot, too cold, raining, there's a good tv show on... you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've definitely done the aisle dodging thing! I think it's a universal move!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gawd, my town is chock full of these women!!! Their kids are the "best", their teachers are the "best", their husbands are the "best". Yeah, I know! When I was husband shopping, I realized the "best" was taken by you, so I settled for the guy I married. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You hit the nail on the head. This woman just needs something to bitch about, which is clearly anything and everything. She is obviously creating her own misery and making anyone else around her miserable too. Sounds like she needs a good bitch slapping...maybe that will keep her stupid mouth from gaping open. :)

    ReplyDelete