Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Life's great mysteries ... solved

I will solve some of your great mysteries and may solve a mystery of my own. I may even throw out a few great mysteries and hope for some answers!

There have been some questions in my comments section lately and I would like to answer them.
  1. What is a meme? Funny, I didn't know what that was either and I had to look it up! According to Wikipedia: A meme (pronounced /miːm/)[1] comprises any idea or behavior that can pass from one person to another by learning or imitation. Examples include thoughts, ideas, theories, gestures, practices, fashions, habits, songs, and dances. Memes propagate themselves and can move through the cultural sociosphere in a manner similar to the contagious behavior of a virus. So when you get tagged for a meme in the blog world, you are to do what it says and pass it on. Almost like a chain letter!
  2. What is "medium thin"? This was in reference to cooking the Jewish Jelly Rolls and rolling out the dough to "medium thin." Because the recipe came from my mom, who is the original Martha Stewart, she doesn't really follow recipes. She uses "a little of this and a dash of that." Makes those of us who NEED exact measurements and instructions CRAZY. So, your guess is as good as mine for the definition of medium thin. I went with, thick enough that you couldn't see through it but thin enough to roll it. An exact thickness measurement that I could have used a ruler to measure would have been appreciated, though.
  3. A few asked about how my MIL has responded to the wish list. We were on the phone and my kids were near by so I didn't give her the list over the phone. I will be e-mailing it to her today.
  4. The dominoes my MIL/FIL gave to my young child were South Park. What 4 or 8 year old needs that?

Non blogging mysteries:

  1. How could I like the current book I am reading for the second time - We Need to Talk About Kevin. I found this book to be riveting. It is not a warm, feel good kind of book, at all. It is about a mom and family whose child inflicts a school massacre in his school. I couldn't put it down. What I liked about this book is that it evoked so many different responses, visceral, gut wrenching, emotional responses, in every chapter. When a book can do that, in MY book, it's a good one. My book club discusses it tonight and I can't wait.

My mystery solved:

  1. What time is it in Guam? For those who are new to this blog, my best friend moved to Guam a couple of weeks ago. I installed a Guam clock right here on this blog so I could know what time it is. However, it doesn't help me when I am in the car and I am easily confused by "15 hours ahead," so Lora, I am sorry that your phone may or may not have rang at 1:00AM your time. It may or may not have been me.

My mysteries needing to be solved:

  1. I have talked in the past about the traffic jam that is my colon. Why is it that my colon decides to go to work and do it's thing while I am at a McDonald's with my youngest son? There I am, telling him to hurry up and eat. I HATE public bathrooms, especially for visits like this one was going to be and I wanted to go home. I finally packed up his fries and had him eat them in the car. THEN, of course, the traffic light gods were against me. Honestly, if I had a child in diapers and had had a diaper bag with me, I would have grabbed a diaper, put it on and shat right there in my diaper in the car. Kind of like that astronaut woman who was stalking her astronaut lover and drove across country with a diaper on so she wouldn't have to stop for a potty break.
  2. How much caffeine is too much? For that matter, how much of anything is too much.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! All those mysteries solved!

    I didn't know what a meme was either. I learned the word over the past few weeks of blogging, but I didn't know what it meant.

    As far as the colon thing goes, I think it is something in the air at McDonalds. All the grease or something. It has the same effect on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read "Nineteen Minutes" which sounds like the same premise, and it was fabulous. I can't stand Jodi Picoult books, so that's saying something.

    There is no such thing as too much caffiene. Consider that mystery solved. Same goes for chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogging Under the InfluenceDecember 10, 2008 at 1:06 PM

    I also read 19 Minutes and also liked it. This book is TOTALLY different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so need to get on the book train with you all.

    As for the colon issue: I admitedly have not been following long so have no idea of the traffic jam colon issue you're having (now I must look for it). However, I'm on board with Abby...it's Mickey D's, Taco Bell, etc. Grease, grease, grease! Save going to those places for when you need a GUARANTEED poop, then it's a good thing instead of a bad one! (Yeah, TMI, but you know it's true!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My head just exploded! Thank you for clearing up Meme for me. HA.. I have wondered, but just too lazy to look it up.

    Your MIL obviously has never heard of South Park.. wow..

    I have a traffic light colon too! I feel your extreme pain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There IS such a thing as too much caffeine, but I have no idea where the line is. I went caffeine-free about 10 years ago, and I am much healthier since, but I still miss the high-test coffee, and the quick pick-me-up it offered.

    All recipes should, by definition, explain things such as specific thickness. It's only right.

    ReplyDelete