Monday, December 29, 2008

Elvis has left the building...

Our Christmas celebration is officially over. My MIL and FIL left for their drive back to Pitt and my husband just took his sister to the airport. All in all it was a fun four+ days! The kids had a blast - five boys ranging from 14 to 5 (one nephew missing as he recently graduated from college and moved to Redondo Beach [LA], CA), a Wii, a bowling machine, Nerf guns galore, forts and tents built with furniture and blankets and a basement to themselves. What kid wouldn't love that? The adults had fun eating, talking, eating, shopping, eating, laughing, eating, playing games, eating. We even had a quick visit from a favorite uncle. We look forward to doing it again soon - or at least next year for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Did I mention we (well, okay, really I mean ME) ate a lot? Good thing I got that Wii Fit. I am going to need it.

Now it's on to New Year's. We have a variety of options for celebrating that night and we probably won't decide until the last minute what we are going to do.

I feel a little out of blogging practice. Can I get my humorous tone back? Can I keep myself entertained? Can I keep others interested? Why do I blog, anyway?

I blog to keep my mind clear, to vent without censorship, to "let it rip" without worrying about what I say or how I say it, to let out my thoughts into somewhat, but not always, organized chaos. I also use this blog as a way to keep a written document of what is going on with my family, funny things my kids say or do, fun things that MG and I are up to. My husband doesn't want me to stop. He likes the fact that I can vent here and get on with being a happier me when I am with him. He does not have to be on the receiving end of my venting because I take care of it here. So I don't plan to stop. Not any of it. I know that when I vent about my family, which has been a little more frequent lately due to the holidays, it doesn't mean I don't love them or enjoy being with them. It reminds me that no matter who you are and what your relationship is, you will never get along 100%, never see eye to eye on everything. That does not change the fact that we are family and we love each other. And we do like to spend time together (without overdoing it, of course!). If there is ever a time I agree 100% with anyone - husband, friend, family, church or political leader - I know that means I have lost my edge, my ability to think for myself. It would mean I have become a blank slate and someone else is telling me WHAT to think. I don't think that day will ever come. I am too opinionated and outspoken. That is why I need to blog.

9 comments:

  1. Nice cover! "I know that when I vent about my family, which has been a little more frequent lately due to the holidays, it doesn't mean I don't love them or enjoy being with them." You wrote that just in case they read your previous blogs. Do you think it will work? Don't know your family, but it probably wont. Christmas is all about spending time with family and loved ones. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your blog today listening to your Meditative/Yoga-ish Auld Lang Syne music in the background! We got the Wii Fit, too, so I think I'll be inspired to use it right now with your music. I'm working on my Fat Ass 'Challenge'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't get a Wii Fit, but I have to get back on the wagon again where working out is involved. If I could just do it in my pajamas, that would be the ultimate! I have an old PS2 personal trainer game that I could blow the dust off of, but the virtual trainer would probably yell at me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto. Am I allowed to say that? I am on the same page as you with the blogging. Don't know if I can keep myself entertained or others interested, and half the world I know IRL seems to know I'm blogging and are reading it, and it freaks me out a bit because I wanted an anonymous outlet. Well, if they don't like it; too bad. It helps us, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy reading your blog ~ rants, raves, ups, downs and all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you'll be blogging, because I really like reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blog on and on Kim. And we'll all keep reading....Happy '09!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Like this line 'The adults had fun eating, talking, eating, shopping, eating, laughing, eating, playing games, eating'. Guess you love to eat... Hope you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have loved to get a wii fit for Christmas but I guess I have to get a wii first. : )

    ReplyDelete