Monday, December 22, 2008

Beauty Tips and Betty Crocker

About a month and a half ago, I started using the Oil Cleansing Method to wash my face. I really started this method as an experiment, thinking there was no way in hell washing an already combination complexion (T zone oily) with oil was even a remotely good idea. I expected my face to become an oil slick infected with blemishes, but I just had to try it. Well, I have been converted. It is amazing to me the difference this cleansing method has made in the quality of my skin. My pores are smaller, I no longer have to use powder to fend off the shiny areas and my skin is super soft. It is NOT oily, at all. Not even a bit. I use the method at night before bed and in the morning I just rinse my face with water when I am in the shower. I use a combination of 90/10 sunflower oil/castor oil. For moisturizer, I use 100% sunflower oil. Apparently, those who have dry/very dry skin do better with olive oil. I love it because it's all natural and it is certainly inexpensive. I don't know what the long term effects will be on wrinkles, but as good as my skin feels, I can't imagine there will be any negative effects. Who knows though. I may post an entry with a photo in 20 years and you will run screaming to your daughters to go buy some REAL skincare and "stop using that crazy oil cleansing method immediately!"

About the same time as the Oil Cleansing Method, I decided to give up shampoo. I kept reading and hearing things about people washing their hair too much and stripping the natural oils from the hair. So I started rinsing my hair very well and using only a conditioner. A few weeks ago I started using this product: WEN. Again, I was skeptical because I had seen it on an infomercial and you can only buy it online. My hairstylist told me about it and made me promise I wouldn't run screaming from the salon because she recommended an infomercial product. She said everyone she knows who uses it raves about it, so I thought I would give it a try, too. Well, again, I am not disappointed. My hair feels great, my scalp feels great. My hair is less frizzy and easier to control. I now have my son using it who has crazy curly hair that is on the longish side (for a boy). If you are in the market for a new hair product, check it out. (No, I am not being paid to promote their product.)

Today I flat ironed my hair to see how long it is. My SIL said it added about three inches to my length. I think that is an exaggeration, but both my husband and I were surprised at how long it is. This is not the greatest picture, it was taken after a long day of entertaining family, so ignore everything but the hair. If I look tired and haggard in this picture, it's because I am!
This is my hair on 12/21/08.
This is my hair in June, 08. Not super easy to see the length, but if you look closely, you can see my hair curls just under my ears.

Sous Chef enjoyed his family b-day party today. Years ago he talked me into buying a Betty Crocker Bake and Fill. You know, the commercials you used to see on the television for making filled and layered cakes of all kinds. I have made a few cakes with this contraption and I think I finally have it down to making a successful cake. He chose strawberry cake with strawberry ice cream filling and chocolate icing. Here it is.

And on a fun little side note, my husband came across a deck of cards that a friend left behind recently. They are called Jeffrey Kacirk's Altered English Knowledge Cards, Surprising Meanings of Familiar Words. So until my husband has to return the cards, I am going to post little tidbits every now and then about how words have changed their meaning over time.

Today's word is:
Sophistication - a counterfeiting or debasing of purity of something by a foreign admixture; adulteration. (Noah Webster, American Dictionary of the English Language, 1828).

Used in a sentence: Charles refused to take his prescribed medication when he found out how sophisticated the drug was.

Personally, I prefer my drugs to be sophisticated! My drinks, too.

5 comments:

  1. Holy cow! Your hair has grown by leaps and bounds! This WEN thing is interesting...

    I used coconut oil for the longest time as a moisturizer...you're right, for someone with oily skin, it freaked me out. But it worked wonders.

    Fabulous red dress BTW.

    I have never heard of the Betty Crocker contraption. I wonder if I can add to my letter to Santa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair is beautiful (as are you).

    I've heard about the oil thing before but still somehow have my doubts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've often wondered if I really needed the shampoo. Maybe I'll try that this week (Christmas vacation.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Adam sounds like my Sean. Everytime he sees that commercial he insists we get one! Ha!

    And I still swear by those GNC pills to help your hair grow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, MERCI for the beauty tips! I can't wait to try them when I get back to Paris.

    ReplyDelete