Saturday, November 29, 2008

A long weekend

I recently read a blog where the writer stated when bloggers start out their entry saying something to the tune of "this is going to be a boring entry" or "this entry is about nothing important" she assumes the writer knows what they are talking about and she closes the blog without reading further. If you are one of those readers, go ahead and click the little "x" in your upper right hand corner of the screen, because this blog is not going to be about much.

I ventured out shopping today and made a dent in Chrismtas gift buying. Still lots to do. There was a mom sitting on an end aisle display and feeding her child who was in a stroller, half blocking the aisle entrance. She plopped down not in a slow, uncrowded area, but in the video game section. At the end of the Wii aisle. She put her diaper bag literally in the middle of the aisle so no one could get in or out easily. There was one woman wanting out of the aisle and I was wanting in, both of us with carts. I looked at her funny and she kind of shrugged. I couldn't help it, obviously I was not in the Christmas spirit yet, and I said, "I think you are blocking people from being able to get in and out of this aisle." She shrugged again and scooted her bag and barely moved the stroller. All I could think was "You have got to be kidding me. Your kid is not that special that he can't be fed in the hardware department!" So I picked up his stroller and I moved it so it didn't block the aisle or anyone from getting into the aisle. She looked at me kind of funny and realized she damn well better move her bag before I got a hold of it. I then said, "I have three kids. I understand this is hard, so I thought I better help you out." That was as Christmas spirit-y as I could get.

Here is the recipe for the Jewish Jelly Rolls. Julia asked me to post it. Enjoy, they are delicious. I grew up eating these things and can't get enough of them. I may have to go to the freezer right now and get a couple of them out to munch on! I bought more of these ingredients today because I have a feeling the last batch I made will never make it to our dessert party.

JEWISH JELLY ROLLS
Prepare dough ahead - refrigerate overnight or until cool

Mix with mixer
2 sticks of butter
2 C. flour
1 sm. carton sour cream
  • Separate into 4 balls, flatten to med. thin. (When you roll the dough, you want the dough to be longer than it is wide.)
  • Spread with strawberry jam, sprinkle with cinnamon, sugar and nut pieces (I use pecans).
  • Roll up (you want to roll it so it remains long) and fold in ends, place seams on bottom of sprayed cookie sheet.
  • Bake @ 350 degrees for approx. 40 min.
  • When hot sprinkle with powdered sugar.
  • Cool and cut into pieces.

Oh, and your house will smell incredible while these are baking!

Thanksgiving was a success. We had 26 people at our house and we managed to set up our dining arrangement so we all ate together at the same very extended table. It was nice. My family is not a drinking family. I can only remember a few times that my parents served alcohol at their house, usually a party of some kind with their friends. I am not sure how it came to be that my brother and I love a good, stiff drink, often too many good stiff drinks in one sitting. And my husband started his morning off stuffing the turkey and drinking coffee with liqueur in it and moved to wine after lunch. With Thanksgiving (or any other gathering) being at my house, it's just understood there will be alcohol. And I have to say, it made for a much better day with my family! Here's our photo that our neighbor took for us. This is actually a small group for my family. My mom is one of seven kids and only one of her brothers came with his wife. Of my dozens of cousins, only three came with their husbands and kids. And my brother and his family are also in the photo.

That's me, standing in the back, second chick from the right (black top). My husband is the guy with goatee. One child is not in the picture. I am not sure where he is. I guess there were too many kids to realize we were missing one!

4 comments:

  1. You are such a liar! Boring? Hardly. (You obviously don't know what you're talking about! :) I loved the way you handled that woman in the store.

    That's quite a crew you had for Thanksgiving. It's so much fun when so many cousins can get together like that; I'll bet they had a ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's A LOT of people. Congratulations for figuring out that the secret is alcohol ;)

    Thank you so much for the recipe. It looks easy enough for even me to make (I don't usually make dough from scratch).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the number of photos we have with missing children due to the "too many kids to realize we were missing one" dilemma.

    I've added your jelly rolls to my menu this week. Sounds scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHat a nice family picture. Wish I had as much family as you do to celebrate the holidays with. Consider yourself lucky!

    ReplyDelete