Monday, November 10, 2008

It's cold in the windy city!

So today I slept in. Once I finally got myself out of bed and showered, I headed out. I had no rhyme or reason to where I was going. I am not a very good "tourist" in that sense. Anyway, I bundled up and grabbed what every good touristy shopper takes with them ... my library book. Come on, you just never know when you might need to sit down for a rest and crack open a good book. I didn't want to carry anything more than my small purse, so I am carrying this damn book under my arm. This could only mean one thing. I need to buy something so I have a bag for my book.

I am fully prepared today to bump into Oprah and Barack Obama. I want to give him a hug, at the risk of being arrested as I go pushing past the secret service. I was a little bummed when I saw on the news he is checking out his new crib in DC and isn't even IN Chicago. Next time I will need to give him and his family more of a warning of my visit so they can rearrange their schedules. I also assume Oprah knows I am in town and am expecting to run into her, too.

One of the first places I saw was Filene's Basement. I have never been to a Filene's Basement, but I often see it on "What Not To Wear." It must be a decent place. This store confirmed what I already know - I hate department stores. And I hate shopping for bargains. Not that I don't like a bargain, I just don't want to work for it. I did manage to buy a pair of shoes and what every good Christian needs, holiday cards that "Wish you the best of the Holiday Season" so as not to offend our Muslim, Jewish and atheist friends, which we are bountiful in. Wow, I am really planning ahead. I also bought a bright red bra and matching panties. I saw on Oprah that everyone needs red undergarments to feel sexy. If it was said on Oprah, it must be true, so I am going to give it at try.

After my confirmation of hating department stores, I decided I just couldn't face Nieman Marcus, Bloomies or Nordstroms. So I wandered in and out of all the stores we have in Ohio, staying away from the high end stores like Prada, for fear I would find something I couldn't afford and then buy it anyways. I ran into Border's hoping to find a good Indian food cook book. No luck.

I ate lunch at the Cheesecake Factory, which is in and of itself, a little cheesey. Again, I can do this in Ohio, even though I don't. The reason I chose it is because twelve years ago, I ate for the first time in that very exact Cheesecake Factory. And I was pregnant with my oldest son. It had a little bit of nostalgia to it for me. And I was hungry. And I had my book and was ready to read for a little while.

I did even take a couple of pictures, but I think most people have been to Chicago and if not, I can guarantee any pictures you have seen on TV, magazines or from your friends are better than any picture I took!

Oh, and I didn't see Oprah. Maybe she's in DC checking out the Obama's new crib.

1 comment:

  1. Lol, when we went out of state recently, we went to Walmart, Olive Garden, and IHOP!

    ReplyDelete