Thursday, November 13, 2008

Books, books, books

I love to read. I may be the only person I know who carries a book with them while being a tourist. I keep a book and/or magazine in my car at all times. I have been known to be reading more than one book at a time. I try not to do that because I am easily confused (either due to mom brain, lack of sleep, too many muscle relaxers, well, I could go on for the reasons I am easily confused, but I'll stop here) and don't want to have to remind myself which book is what story each time I start to read. And it really sucks when you insert the character of one book into another book. Now that gets confusing!

While traveling to Chicago, I finished One Fifth Avenue, by Candace Bushnell. It's an easy read that was perfect for travel time. Also good for a beach, but unfortunately, I didn't have access to one of those right at the moment. Bummer for me. It's a "modern day story of old money and new money." Hey, how about a modern day story of NO MONEY? While in Chicago I started reading, and then finished on the way home yesterday, Testimony, by Anita Shreve. The story of a sex scandal at a Vermont boarding school is told by the various people involved during and after the event. Another good read. Not necessarily a beach read, though, which was perfect, since I don't have access to the beach right at the moment, as mentioned above. Now I am reading The Heretic's Daughter, by Kathleen Kent. It's is different from the books I have read in the last several months. It has a "historical fiction" feel to it as it shares the story of a family and their experiences in the Puritan day witch trials in Salem, MA. I am not too far into it, but have read enough to know this is going to be a good one.

I would love suggestions for other good books. My book club chose the next six months of books last night, but I couldn't be there. I am excited to see what they selected.

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you have time for books AND blogs...you ARE a supermom. : -)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the middle of a couple books now that are taking forever simply because I'm not reading as much as I should be! One is "Mary Modern" and it's pretty good. I'd link, but I'm clueless as well as time-strapped in life! I'm also reading "Hunger Games". That one is under Teen, but it's actually approachable from a regular fiction angle.

    After that, I have bags and bags and shelves to get through!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's a lot of reading! I am in a book club at work too. Makes it kinda convenient to meet once a month during lunch at work. LOL.

    I am into Hispanice Literature. Right now we are reading Garcia & Daughter Trucking Co. I had a list of books we read on my blog, but I forgot to add it when I changed it. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete