Friday, November 14, 2008

Adios, my friend, my BFF

Today, my BFF moves from the tiny state of Delaware to the tiny island of Guam. I wrote about this earlier here. I still think it's too far. I still think this is proof the government is out to get me. They will be there for three years.

Actually, it's not the distance or the 24 hours of plane travel that presents the challenge. It's the different time zones that is going to be the pain in the ass. Fourteen hours makes it hard to just pick up the phone to chat. And boy do we chat. Often several times a day. We are going to have to actually THINK about the time of day for the other person prior to making a call. I see some accidental middle of the night calls until we get used to this. I don't like being on a "schedule." At all. Especially for phone calls. It sucks. The good news is, according to my cell phone carrier, Guam is not considered an international call since it's a US territory and it is included in my regular minutes! I hope that is true. I don't want to be surprised with a LD bill on my cell phone for 500 minutes at $1.00/minute! Now that would really suck.

I don't think I've ever gone longer than 3-4 months without seeing her. As of now, we have no plans to see each other until we meet in Hawaii in the fall, 2009. We will finally celebrate our 40th birithdays with the birthday trip we talked about doing for many years leading up to our big 4-0. By the time we get to Hawaii, it will be two years after we have turned 40. But hey, I guess we really have a decade to celebrate turning 40, right? Hawaii is about 1/2 way for each of us and I can't think of a better locale to celebrate four decades of life. With my BFF. Who I have known over 1/2 of my life. That's a long time to have a BFF. If I was a Hallmark-y type of person, I would come up with something wise and sentimental right now to say about her and this situation, but I'm not. So I won't.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I'd be distraught having a friend move so far away. A few years ago, after we'd gotten out of college and gotten semi-scheduled, a good friend left to do two years in the Peace Corps. in Hungary, and we really had to work out a telephone schedule because I always wanted to talk to him, but it would be 4 a.m. his time!

    At least you have fantastic visitation plans in place! Hope she has a safe trip to Guam, and that the time flies fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally sucks- the trip sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it looks like you're in need of finding a new BFF...who lives much closer. Shouldn't be too hard to do right?

    just kidding of course.

    And yes right on with that trip! And yes, you get a decade to celebrate turning 40 which is of course the new 30....

    ReplyDelete