Thursday, October 23, 2008

D.A.R.E.

My oldest son had his D.A.R.E graduation last night. Unfamiliar with D.A.R.E? It stands for Drug Abuse Resistance Education. The program teaches the kids about the dangers of illicit drugs, alcohol and tobacco and the importance of not abusing these things. The irony that Motorcycle Guy came to the graduation smelling like beer after attending a UC Alumni happy hour was not lost on me. I had to chuckle about that.

The kids had to write essays about what they learned in this program and three kids were selected to read their essays. I sat there wondering if I would have made different choices after a program like this. Hhhhmmm...I am not sure. While my past drug use is not extensive, it wasn't a one time thing, either. And alcohol use - ok, that could just be explained as downright ABUSE. Fun, but hey, there are days where I know I am lucky to be alive.

After recently reading "Beautiful Boy" and "Tweak", I have decided I will LIE, LIE, LIE (or at least avoid the truth, which is its own form of a lie) to my kids about my past use. The exception is if they don't ask me about it until they are a little older, then I would fess up. But I am NOT going to tell my young teenagers about my antics in high school and college. I never thought I would lie about this, but I will. Liar, liar, liar (or maybe just "truth avoider"). I am a good example of "well, she did it and turned out fine." But as I mentioned earlier, things could have easily gone in a different direction.

In general, it's just a scary thing. I don't expect my kids will never try/use drugs and alcohol. I just hope when/if they do, they are older and in a safe environment.

1 comment:

  1. I think that D.A.R.E. is a wonderful program and should continue being taught in the schools. The boy in my class who read his essay aloud to the crowd was the boy who started abusing drugs two years later. How scary is that!

    ReplyDelete