Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Governor Palin

Many, many people have asked me since the announcement Friday what I think of Gov. Sarah Palin's nomination. First, I can say it was a surprise, only in the sense that I have not ever heard of her. However, I have a friend who has been following a lot of John McCain information and he has seen her name pop up here and there. Second, I don't know much about her, like most people, it seems. I am excited to see a woman and a mother on the ticket. I am excited that no matter who is elected, history will be made. I will not be voting for her. I am staunchly pro-choice and would have a hard time voting for anyone who is not. I would like to see all the personal stuff dropped from the media. I am tired of the media saying stupid things like "if she were a man, do you think the family issue would be a topic?" Well, of course it wouldn't. Not just because women are still held to a different standard than men, but because the news idiots won't let these ridiculous conversations out of the headlines. Why is her personal life such a hot topic? Because the media machine won't stop talking about it and making a big deal about it. We've seen it before, over and over again - affairs, past chemical use, driving records. And what kills me, is the media sits around like "who, me?" and wonder aloud why it's news. Hello? And so, because the news machine won't talk about the important stuff, I still don't know much about this woman. I will be watching her speak tonight at the convention. I am interested to hear what she says, how she says it. I hope she does well this evening. And for those who choose to vote or not vote for her, I hope it is based on her policies and political standings, not because she's a woman or a mom.

As for my personal opinion about the daughter being pregnant. IT HAPPENS. You can teach your children everything you want them to know, you can give them your family values and morals, but when they walk out that door they are going to do things you wish they hadn't done. Not all the time, but it will happen. You hope they take those values and morals with them, but they are kids and they have a mind and opinions of their own. They are going to make mistakes and you hope when they do, they are small ones. Sometimes they aren't and there are life long consequences. At least when this woman says she's pro-life, she follows through with that. I would have been very disappointed if she touted this pro-life (or anti-choice, as I prefer to call it) platform, only to find out when she was in the trenches of difficult decisions, she threw her beliefs out the window and did the exact opposite of what she supports. So many people don't do that. She did, and for that, I commend her.

No comments:

Post a Comment