Saturday, August 16, 2008

A sad goodbye

Today I attended my aunt's funeral. She was 67 years old. Her husband died while I was in college and my cousin, their youngest son, also died while I was in college. She has two sons still living. One of my uncles, who is a pastor, delivered the sermon and eulogy today. He struggled at times to keep his composure and did a great job. He was even able to add some humor. My mom and her siblings were so sad. I don't think I have ever seen my dad cry as hard as he did today. And my brother, well you could take him to a stranger's funeral and he would tear up, so it's worse than that when it's family - and when he sees my parents upset. We rode to and from the funeral together - a two hour drive each way. He admitted to me after the service that he has "separation anxiety" in the "adult form". I'm not 100% sure what that means except he doesn't deal well with those permanent goodbyes. I am concerned about having to go through this with him when it's one or both of our parents. I have a feeling I will be the rock and the organizer. I dread that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment