Monday, August 18, 2008

Double check your prescriptions

CJ was being treated a couple of weeks ago for strep throat. His coughing, which was why I had taken him to the doctor to start with, was getting worse, not better, so I took him back. He then had an ear infection in addition to the strep, so his antibiotic was changed to a stronger one. I was sure I heard the nurse practitioner, who I LOVE, say it was one teaspoon a day for five days. I dropped off the prescription and picked it up a little while later. The directions said one teaspoon, twice a day, for ten days. I had that whisper in my head that said "I thought she said 'once a day for five days.' " I should have listened to my gut. I almost always do, and for some reason, this time I didn't follow up. Over the weekend, on day six, we ran out of medicine. I called the doctor today and we went through everything. She then said, they put the wrong instructions on the medicine. Thankfully, no harm done, but I do realize it could have been a lot worse if it had been a different type of med.I went to Walgreen's today and asked to see the original prescription. I also asked her to translate it for me. "Once teaspoon daily for five days." I then showed her what was on my bottle. Of course, she apologized, but I don't think that's enough. I don't know what I want exactly. I know I am not interested in pursuing anything legal, there was no harm done. But I do want them to be aware or held accountable for what COULD HAVE BEEN a fatal mistake. I do have to say, though, if it had been a more serious drug, I do believe I would have questioned it instead of blowing off my "gut instinct." The woman I spoke to was going to have the pharmacy manager call me when she comes in. So lesson learned. In the future, make sure your doctor CLEARLY tells you what the med is and how to take it. Then make sure the pharmacy gives you that med and the instructions are in line with what your doctor told you.

No comments:

Post a Comment