Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Let me tell you about my best friend...

This is my best friend, Lora. She will probably be pissed I used this picture - it's not the best of either of us. But hey, what do you expect from a waitress whose main duty is NOT photography. Plus, we only see each other a couple of times a year due to our living locations, so I have to take whatever photos I can get.
Anyway, Lora and I met when we were in college. We met briefly our freshman year through mutual friends. Our sophomore year, I was roommates with those mutual friends and had frequent interactions with her. We did not like each other very well. In fact, we did not like each other at all. She thought I was a snob, I thought she was a bitch or maybe it was vice versa. Either way, it doesn't matter, because reality is, we are both a little bit of both. (I am much better now, though!) Fate would have it that we eventually became best friends. I wish I could site some wonderful moment where we had a life altering experience that would change our lives, but we didn't. What brought us together? We turned 21 and none of our other friends did. We were the only two who could go to the unchartered territory of the 21 and over bars throughout our city. That was really all it took. A few drunken evenings, a few crazy all nighters and voila - BFF's. I could go into a lot more details about some of the memories we have, but due to the fact that my children may read this some day, I choose not to do that. I can say we have had a lot of fun together over the years. And it's been great to have this friendship during the not so fun times for each of us. We have been on a couple of fun trips together and look forward to a few more. We have yet to celebrate our 40th birthdays with a relaxing beach trip, but I figure we have all of our 40's to try to make that trip happen!
We are as different as we are alike. We are 28 days apart in age. We both love alternative music, dancing, shopping/clothes, good movies, our families. We love laughing about our kids. We both have a kind of unique sense of humor, though she laughs much more easily than I do and at sillier stuff. She always gets excited when she can tell me a joke or send an e-mail that gets more than a smirk from me. We are both opinionated and independent. We both left careers we loved to stay home with our kids. She is married to one of my husband's friends. He's a Lt. Col. in the Air Force and they seem to move to and from cities that I am moving to and from on the opposite schedule. Because of that, we have not lived in the same city since about 2000. We figure we'll try to retire to the same street.
We are different in our politics (I am more left and she is more right, but don't confuse being "more right" with being "correct"!). She's a planner and I am more spontaneous. She follows the rules a little more whereas I am a rules are "guidelines" kind of gal. She does a lot of research before making decisions and I make gut decisions.
We have known each other since about 1986/87. We have been friends since about 1988. I don't think there have been many days that we have not seen each other or spoken on the phone. Sometimes we talk to each other multiple times a day. So even though we live 100's of miles apart, it's almost like we are together.
She may have some input to this story. I'll let her make a "guest" writing entry if she would like! I get full editing privileges, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment