Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Swingtown and The Bachelorette

These shows have a main theme in common - dating/partnering with a variety of people. One is fiction and one is reality TV. I am watching both.

Swingtown premiered last week. It's based in the mid-70's and involves a couple "moving up" from one neighborhood to another just a few blocks away. The old neighborhood was all families, bike rides and picnics. The new neighborhood? They have another form of entertainment which you can probably figure out by the title of the show - swinging, open marriages and drugs. Throw in issues with teenagers and raising families and it could prove to be interesting, if for no other reason than to laugh at the clothes, the dancing and the music. Though I was young, I do remember the clothes, the dancing and the music. Though I don't have any direct experience with swinging, when I lived in OP, there were several stories of neighborhoods, people and establishments where swinging was rumored, if not downright true. I even had a friend, and her husband, who were invited to a home for dinner and then offered more than dinner. I think my friends may have left before dessert was served. Ok, they stayed for dessert, the chocolate cake kind, and then they left.

The Bachelorette (and The Bachelor) is a show that's like a train wreck you can't look away from. I watch every "season" and am often embarrassed for the candidates as they often make total fools of themselves, especially when they have a big crying fit about being sent home after one or two dates because "there was a connection there. I was falling in love." But like I said, it's a train wreck I can't look away from and I am hooked. All in all, they are the same except in The Bachelorette it's one person who gets to partake in the many flavors of the others, while the others have to sit back and wait their turn or get sent home vs. Swingtown which is partners sharing partners. Oh yeah, and Swingtown is supposedly fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment