Sunday, May 18, 2008

She ain't no Martha Stewart!

It's true. I don't really like home decorating/redecorating projects, for a variety of reasons, listed as follows:
  1. We don't have the money to either buy the things I like and/or buy the things all at the same time. I see an entire room on display that I like and it usually adds up to $1,000's of dollars. NOT happening right now. So I try to buy similar things at a lower cost and then I have a hard time incorporating them into my rooms. I am just not good at piecing things together.
  2. I don't like shopping for home decor stuff. I want to go one place and say "ok, I'll take that", "that" being an entire room of stuff, including all the accessories, and then go home and wait for it to be delivered.
  3. I don't like comparing prices and styles by going from store to store. This takes us back to #1. The results of 1. and 2. mean that I make do with what we have OR
  4. I end up "upgrading" what we have. I don't really like these projects, either. I would rather be shopping for clothes.

#4 leads me to this weekend's project. We have a dresser set from Motorcycle Guy's grandparents. The style of it is fine, but it had a really awful finish on it. So this weekend, I sanded and painted them and bought new pulls for the drawers. I have NEVER done this before. If you've been a reader for a while, you may remember the first time I ever painted a room was back in September, so this is another new home decor project involving #4, upgrading what we have.

I sanded and I painted. Of course, as is almost always the case with me when paint is involved, I decided I didn't really like the color. I painted the first dresser and drawers and after looking at it off and on, decided it was too much of a "muddy" color and I wanted more of a "brown/black" color. So this morning I needed to go to Home Depot to return a light that burned out. (It's one of the new energy saving bulbs and it had a seven year guarantee and lasted about 70 minutes!) I also wanted to look at their pulls since Lowe's didn't have exactly what I was looking for. I also decided to get some new paint, but didn't tell Motorcycle Guy because I knew what kind of look I would get. The one that says "WHAT?" So I am getting the stuff into the car and Motorcycle Guy offers to take the painted dresser and drawers back upstairs while I am gone, because as far as he is concerned, it's finished. This is how the conversation goes:

Motorcycle Guy: "Do you want me to take this back up and bring the other dresser down?"
Me: "no. i am going to paint them a different color." (The small font is to indicate the hushed voice I used as I said this.)
Motorcycle Guy: "WHAT?"
Me: "I am going to paint them a different color." (A little louder this time.)
Me: "I don't really like that color for the dressers."
Motorcycle Guy: "What's wrong with it?"
Me: "It's too muddy. I want something the color of this." ("this" is me pointing to the shirt I purposefully dressed in t match the color.)
Motorcycle Guy: "Ok then. I'll bring down the other dresser."

He's such a good sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment