Thursday, May 29, 2008

Are you smarter than a 5th grader?

Yesterday, my 5th grader was home "sick". Well, not really sick. Mainly just not up to snuff - new braces, allergies and a baseball game that lasted until after 10:00. Hey, it's the end of the school year, so no big deal. The result was he was able to babysit CJ while I went to an "Author's Tea" in Sous Chef's classroom where Sous Chef got to read the book that he wrote and his teacher had bound and "published". Each of the kids got to do this. Anyway, I pay Big E $2.00/hr. - CHEAP babysitting! So I was gone an hour and 45 minutes. I am quite the math challenged mom, so I was trying to figure out how much I owed him - 1.45x$2.00. It was adding up to $2.90 and Big E quickly corrected me that it should be $3.50. I didn't disagree, but couldn't figure out why my equation wasn't working. He talked me through it:

Big E: "One hour is $2.00, another hour is $3.00 and 15 more minutes would be $.50 for a total of $3.50."
Me: "Yes, that is right, but I just don't understand why my equation isn't working. 1.45x$2.00. See, it says right on the calculator that it is $2.90."
Big E: "But the hours aren't in 100's, there is only 60 minutes in an hour. You need to calculate that way."
Me: "OH YEAH! 45 minutes is 3/4 of an hour so I need to use 1.75 instead of 1.45. NOW my equation works. $3.50!"
Big E, with a smile: "Now you got it."

No comments:

Post a Comment