Friday, February 8, 2008

Profanity and Puberty

I bought Big E a book for Christmas called TRAVEL TEAM. It's a fictional story about a basketball team, written by Mike Lupica, who I believe is an ESPN sportscaster or writer. Anyway, I asked him about it last night and he said he's reading it at school during the day. I then asked him if he liked it and he said yes. Then he kind of laughed and said, "but they use a lot of cuss words." I asked him what they were and he refused to SAY them. I told him it was ok in this situation and he couldn't make himself do it! I finally asked him to spell them, as I wanted to know what words exactly this book was using since it was in the kids section of Barnes and Noble and said it was for ten and up. Anyways, he laughed and says "D-A-M-N" and "P-I-S-S-E-D". I explained it's ok to have this in the book, but that didn't mean I wanted to hear him using those words. Hey, it's not like he doesn't hear that around the house!

Yesterday was Big E's "puberty class" at school. I had watched the video ahead a couple of weeks ago and discussed everything in it with him at that time, hoping to prevent any unnecessary giggling during class. We covered topics like hygiene and pubic hair and also erections, ejaculation and wet dreams. After that, he looked at me and started talking about a video game or something. I asked him if he had any questions and he said something along the lines of "can I have a Ho-Ho?"

So he comes home today and says they had their "puberty class". I asked him how it went and was there lots of giggling. Of course, a room full of boys talking about erections and pubic hair is going to get some giggles. He wasn't sure who laughed the most, but thought it was about equal amongst all of them. Then he showed me the deodorant they gave him, which happens to be the same thing Motorcycle Guy wears. I showed him how to wind it up/out and then I said, "and then you rub it on your lips." He looked at me with the most odd face, as if he wasn't 100% sure if I was telling the truth. He finally said, "nuh-uh" but he wasn't really sure where it went. I cut the crap and finally gave him the real story about deodorant. He was so into it, he showered this morning and used his new deodorant. Too funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment