Saturday, January 19, 2008

In 3's

They say bad things happen in threes. I think I believe that! Yesterday, when Big E got home, he couldn't get in the front door. I unlocked it and couldn't open it from the inside. Normally, this would not panick me as we have several doors to choose from to go in and out. However, I had about ten friends coming over that I really didn't want to have to use the mudroom door, which would require them to climb over my dirty laundry piles; the garage door to the house, the back door, or worse, maybe an open window! Thankfully, Motorcycle Guy was able to get it taken care of as soon as he got home. In preparation for my gathering, I made the worst lemon meringue pie EVER! I am a pro at this and I still am not totally sure what happened. The crust sides, while baking, fell to the bottom of the dish in some places, leaving it to look more like a pizza crust than a pie crust. I went ahead with the filling and it wouldn't set properly. First it seemed like it wouldn't set at all and I was afraid I would have to serve the pieces in a bowl with spoons instead of a plate with a fork. It finally set, but was kind of lumpy. YUCK! Then, because of the pie crust, I wasn't sure how it was going to be when I cut it. I went ahead and put on the meringue and cooked it. I still have not sliced it. I didn't even serve it last night for fear of scaring off my friends with my pie. As if those two things weren't enough, about 20 minutes before the first guest arrived, I was rinsing my kitchen sink and the faucet handle broke and I couldn't turn off the water. During all of this, my kids are whining about being hungry and Motorcycle Guy is trying to get them out the door to Skyline Chili (YUM!). I just had him turn off the water source and on they went. I used water from the water dispenser in the fridge to finish up and told everyone the faucet was "out of service" for the evening. It's fixed as of this morning and better than ever, considering it used to drip if you didn't get it in just the right place. It was a finicky, pain in the ass faucet, but now it's as good as new!

No comments:

Post a Comment