Thursday, October 18, 2007

Teeth galore

Big E lost FIVE teeth yesterday. Well, actually only one came out on it's own. We have been watching four teeth that our dentist in KS said if weren't out by the fall should probably be pulled since the adult teeth are already pushing their way in and they need the room. Yesterday was our appointment to have our dentist here look at them. After school, Big E was eating some fruit snacks and a tooth we weren't even watching got stuck in a fruit snack and out it came. On the way to the dentist, our conversation went like this, though it was one we have had on many occasions in the last week or so.

"Why are we having my loose teeth looked at?"
"Because Dr. Pottinger said the teeth should be pulled if they didn't come out by now."
"Why?"
"Because there needs to be room for the adult teeth."
"Oh."
"I had four permanent teeth pulled when I was about your age to make room for braces. Yours are still the baby teeth, so it won't hurt. They use medicine. Anyways, I don't think they'll do it today. This is just to decide and then we'll probably have to schedule another appointment."
"Oh."

So, we get there and he's in the chair. The next thing I know, the dentist is asking his assistant for numbing gel and gauze. Big E started looking a little nervous and I told him they were going to pull them right now. BIG EYES were the only response I got. The first tooth came out and he didn't even know they had done anything. The others were a little tougher and he moaned a lot and squeezed my hand. To the surprise of the dentist, I wanted to watch. That conversation went like this:
"I am going to watch."
"Are you sure?"
"Oh, yeah!"
I hate pulling the kids teeth myself, but I do it. Watching is a whole other beast and I love watching "medical" stuff. Luckily, it wasn't really painful for him, otherwise I am not sure what I would have done.

Afterwards he was so proud of himself. They gave him a box for the four teeth and we added the fifth one when we got home. He knows Motorcycle Guy or I is the tooth fairy, but we play it up pretty good for Sous Chef's sake, and eventually CJ's. He got $10 ($2/tooth) and he was quite excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment