Friday, September 14, 2007

Pittsburgh again

We arrived in Pittsburgh last night. I really hate driving to get here in the dark. The highways are so hilly that the semi-trucks barely make it up the hills and go really slow. Sometimes you come around a curve in the highway on a hill and there will be line of trucks crawling up the hill at 20 MPH when the speed limit is 70.

Today my father-in-law, sister-in-law, Motorcycle Guy and kids went to the Carnegie Museum for a behind the scenes, private tour of the Carnegie Museum. The tour was lead by the paleontologist at the museum. They even got to tour the unfinished wing of the museum that will house the permanent dinosaur exhibit, which doesn't open until November. It sounded like everyone had a great time.

Me, CJ and my mother-in-law took the T downtown. Since CJ absolutely LOVES trains, he had a blast. More than once he said, "Mom, I love trains. I definitely love trains." We went to the Heinz gift shop, which is on the 9th floor of the Heinz building, we went to the main T train station and then we took the Incline up to Mt. Washington, where my MIL, grew up. CJ really liked the "train that went up the big hill." We then took the T back to Brookline and had a rest. CJ certainly enjoyed his day of train hopping and so did I!

Tomorrow I am having breakfast with a roommate from college. Jan and I lived in a house with a total of six girls during college. It was a madhouse and party central, but Jan was studious and committed to her six year major. She has been in Pitt several years now and is attending graduate school in addition to her full time work. She is an architect. We had a lot of fun together and I love to see her. We once caught up with each other in New Orleans for Mardi Gras and it was a blast (what I remember, anyway!). I also visited her when she was living in Atlanta. The last time I saw her she had just bought a house here in Pittsburgh. I have not seen her in three years and I am really looking forward to it.

That's all I have for now. It's quiet here. Everyone is in bed. My in-laws have a three story house, so the folks sleeping on the third floor could be having a party and I probably wouldn't hear it down here on the first floor. On the other hand, I could have a party down here and the third floor folks wouldn't hear it...

No comments:

Post a Comment