Saturday, September 1, 2007

Front Page News - Serious and Lighthearted

The lawyer of the woman who left her child in a car in the extremely high temperatures has finally spoken. He states, "She's still in shock. It's beyond anything that she could have ever contemplated in her entire life. She's not equipped to deal with this - no one is. She is distraught." I think that is probably an understatement and there are no words to describe what this woman, along with her husband and children and countless others who love her and the little girl, are going through. The lawyer explained what happened - the father usually took the little girl to daycare but had an appointment that morning. The mom took the little girl, but she left too early that morning to drop the little girl off first. She stopped for doughnuts, which was enough to distract her routine, and then headed for work. The little girl was asleep. I am so glad that I am not in a legal career that would require me to decide how to handle this case. It appears the charge they are considering is "reckless endangering of a child" which as I stated earlier in a post would require "a culpable mental state of recklessness" ie: it would require that this action was done intentionally. If that is the definition, I hope this woman goes free because I find it hard to believe this woman did this on purpose. As the lawyer said, "Every member of the public that's screaming for blood here would be begging for mercy if it happened to them or a loved one."

If you have seen the national news lately, you probably have heard about the bomb threats at businesses across the country. Well, our city fell victim to this yesterday, TWICE. Once at the Bigg's grocery store that I shop at on a regular basis and the other was at the US Bank in our previous suburb, which was down the street from my old house and the location where I did all of my banking. Nothing was found, but it is kind of eerie to think about.

General news about what is up with my family. Motorcycle Guy is coming home today. He was supposed to be out of town until tomorrow, but they had a good week on their project and he is planning to leave today. He goes back on Tuesday for the week. I am quite used to being a "single parent" after having him living in here for six months while we remained in OP until we moved here. Thank goodness for non-stop flights between our airports during that time!

Sous Chef had to fill out a "getting to know you" questionnaire for his teacher. One of the questions was "what is your favorite song?" He had trouble choosing, but finally settled on "When September Ends." I wonder how many other children chose Green Day songs? His other choice was "Soul Meets Body" by Death Cab for Cutie. I doubt anyone else chose that song, either. Sous Chef also loves the Violent Femmes and always knows when a song by them comes on the radio. CJ has some favorites, too. He loves "Steady as She Goes" by the Raconteurs and "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley. He always says "turn it up" when they come on. All of these are last year's songs. They haven't really picked up any favorites lately, but they do like the whistling in "Young Folks" by Peter Bjorn and John.

I got a flier yesterday for our neighborhood "Ladies Night Out." They go out once a month, alternating between restaurants and parties/game night in the homes. So I will be heading out this Thursday to a restaurant (you know I love that!) with a bunch of strangers. My neighbor can't go and I think there is one person going who I met once while I was out waiting for the bus with Sous Chef and she was walking with her newborn. One other woman going I have spoken with on the phone one time. Hopefully it will be a good time. It's nice to get along with your neighbors!I did finish my painting yesterday without any falls. A few shaky moments here and there, but I managed to remain on the ladder with my head above my body!

Spider #9 this morning. It was much bigger, darker, faster and harrier than the others. I used a broom to smash it so I didn't have to get close by using a shoe!

No comments:

Post a Comment