Wednesday, September 19, 2007

BOYS!

I always knew having boys would keep me busy. I also knew there would be lots of tricks and pranks. Up until now, they have been pretty minor - the usual stuff, like making farting noises with their armpits, burping as loud as they can. The usual boy stuff.

Well, yesterday evening, Big E asked me if I wanted to play "squishy." Once he told me it involved the toilet, I decided I didn't want to play. Of course, this conversation should have triggered something in my brain that would have alerted me to the impending doom. The next thing I know, he and Sous Chef come running. Both of them are laughing so hard they are crying and can hardly catch their breath. I honestly have not ever seen either of them laugh this hard. They led me to the bathroom...to a room covered in ketchup! Big E had stuck packets of ketchup in between the toilet and the toilet seat, under the foot pads of the toilet seat. Sous Chef sat on the toilet and the ketchup packets exploded. After a few seconds of standing there with my mouth hanging open taking in the splattered mess, I had to "flip out" while trying to hold back my laughter. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "How can making a mess like this be funny?"
Me: "I work hard to keep our house clean and nice and you go and do this?"
Me: "Where did you come up wtih this idea?"
Me: "Do you think it's funny to do something that creates a lot of extra work for me?"

I must have sounded fierce, because I don't ever think I have seen their eyes get that big and they both immediately said: "We'll clean it up."

Me: "You most definitely will. There better not be one speck of ketchup in here when I come back. You have both lost all video game privileges for the rest of the day."

As I walked out, I had to cover my mouth to hide my smile. The entire time they were cleaning up, I could hear them stifling their giggles to prevent any additional discipline. They did clean it up and did a good job at it. Big E told me he read about this idea from Dave Pilkey, the author of the Captain Underpants comic books. I reminded Big E anything suggested in those books was not a good idea for real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment